Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Remove Old Macromedia, And Flash Player Versions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:47 PM

:thumbsup: I am doing a scan with Secunia, and it is showing old versions of Macromedia and Adobe Flash Players. It says they are a security risk.
I went to the Adobe site, but did not see what they were talking about to uninstall these old programs. They are not showing up on add/remove programs. They don't show up on Start, All Programs either. If I do a search on Macromedia, I have several instances of Macromedia...but have not seen any uninstaller, or player folder to delete. I am afraid if I just move these folders to the Recycle Bin I will delete something shared, or something I need. Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:57 PM

Try running the Flash Player Uninstaller here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:08 PM

Thanks. I tried it, but the files are still there. It must of just deleted the new one only.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:16 PM

Can you manually delete the files?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:22 PM

I could pull them into the recycle bin, but I am afraid to do that. I am afraid there will be a shared file or something I need, and if I delete it, I am in for a bad time if ya know what I mean. I made that mistake years ago, and it was a hard lesson. I have always asked before I did such a thing since.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

You could delete them to the recycle bin but don't empty the bin for a few weeks, or move the files to a temp directory. That way, if there are any problems you could easily restore the files.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:21 PM

thanks, I will try that!

#8 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:39 PM

I put them in a temporary folder as many as would go in. Then I put as many as Sandboxie would take. That way they hopefully won't get accidentally deleted until I think it is safe to do so. Thanks again.

I forgot to say that I ran Secunia again, and this time it did not show any old programs. So that is good. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users