Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Refusing To Run Windows

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scouse6

scouse6

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:15 PM

Win Xp
Sp2

My m8s laptop has just stopped loading windows.. Pressing F8 works,but then "safe mode" or "restart at last known good config" do not work.
Any advice please...??

Edited by scouse6, 09 September 2008 - 01:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:07 PM

Make and model of the laptop? Do you have the recovery/installation disks?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 scouse6

scouse6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:18 AM

Thanks usasma,

Sorry about the lack of details.

Its an Compact Pressario V4000.

The error message that seems to be on a loop is

Page_fault_In_Nonpaged_Area

He does have a recovery disc, but it gets worse..!! Because just prior to this his DVD drive stopped reading disc's. You can here it spinning, but it will not read the disc. Don't know if this is all part of the same problem...????
We did think of using a stand alone dvd player connecting by USB, and seeing if his laptop would recognise that..... If it did could he then format and reinstall Win xp.

Could be infected with a virus...???

Edited by scouse6, 10 September 2008 - 11:35 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:43 PM

Here's a link to a description of the error message: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x50

The first thing to do is to determine if you can boot from a disk using the built in disk drive BEFORE it gets to Windows.
Insert a bootable CD in the drive, then restart the system.
As it first shows the Compaq screen, start tapping the "Esc" key until it says something about "loading boot menu".
When that loads you should be able to select the CD/DVD drive to boot from, so try that option.

Then, just to verify, try booting that disk on another PC to make sure that the disk is bootable. If it works on the other PC, then you can declare the CD/DVD drive dead.

If it is dead, then you'll need an external CD/DVD drive. Once you get one, you'll have to plug it in the USB ports and then check to see if the "Esc" key thing will let you boot from it. If it will, you can run the restoration from there - if not, then most likely you'll have to get another internal CD/DVD drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 scouse6

scouse6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:42 AM

Thanks usasma,,

we took out his hard drive try ed it in anther unit.No joy, completely dead.Put in anther hard drive pre loaded with Win Xp Pro. It now runs fine except for his DVD drive. He will have to buy a new dvd/cd drive. But still cheaper than a new laptop.

thanks for your time and advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users