Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer slow to launch "My Computer"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mj63

mj63

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:45 PM

Hope someone can help - when I open either "Windows Explorer" or "My Computer" and click on the link to My Computer my pc takes several minutes to display the contents (which is just the drives on the pc). I get the torch waving over the folder icon for some time and it seems that windows is "scanning" the pc. Once it has displayed the contents I have no problems, its just happens the first time I select the "My Computer" folder either through explorer or directly from "My Computer". Is there some sort of setting that is causing the problem perhaps? I've tried reinstalling XP (Home) including SP2 but the problem persists. Any guidance would be appreciated.
PS. pc is new, 3.2Ghtz with lots of RAM so it shouldn't be a speed issue.

Edited by mj63, 24 April 2005 - 11:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:31 AM

Do you have any cds in the drive or connected to any network shares? When you go into my computer/explorer for the first time, it needs to get the status/properties of each drive. Therefore, if you have slow reading devices like network drives or cdroms it can take a bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users