Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Writer Won't Recognize Blank Dvd-rs

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 stlolth

stlolth

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:49 AM

Recently my dvd writer stopped recognizing blank DVD+Rs as such. When i put in a DVD+R it sees it as a regular blank CD and will burn it as such.
It has no problem recognising already burned DVDs or CDs or blank CDs, only blank DVD-Rs.

My dvd drive is a Philips PBDV16LSB, recognised in windows as PBDV16LSP1 (this is normal!).
What i've done to rectify this problem is;

- Updated the firmware to the latest B2.0 revision
- Tried using several different makes of blank DVD+Rs, such as Sony, Verbatim and Emtec
- Switched the drive from IDE channel 1 slave to IDE channel 2 slave
- Checked the DMA, is set to Ultra DMA mode 2 (the optimal setting)
- Tried using different burning programs

None of this helped. The problem is definatly burn-application independent because when i put in a blank DVD+R and open my computer, already it's recognised as a blank cd. In my opinion this is some kind of xp software problem because i've tried unplugging the drive and installing it in my father's computer and there it works perfectly. We're both running XP Pro SP2.

(Edit: DVD+Rs, not DVD-Rs, sorry!)

Edited by stlolth, 09 September 2008 - 01:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:17 PM

Check to make sure your IDE/SATA Cables are connected properly.

#3 stlolth

stlolth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:03 PM

Of course they're connected properly. Geez.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:58 PM

Have you tried removing the upper and lower filters? Try this article to see if it helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886568
Although this may not be the exact problem that you're experiencing, the procedure there will remove the filters and reinstall the device with it's default settings.

1. Click Start, click Run, type Regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
4. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
5. On the File menu, click Exit.
6. Restart your computer.
7. Click Start, click Run, type Sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
8. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
9. Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives.
10. Right-click each device under DVD/CD-ROM drives, and then click Uninstall.
11. Click OK, and then restart your computer.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 stlolth

stlolth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:17 PM

Thank you, but unfortunately i have no "lowerfilters" and "upperfilters" entries.

#6 stlolth

stlolth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:14 AM

anyone else? help. :thumbsup:

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:21 AM

Try a different cable.

#8 stlolth

stlolth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:52 AM

damn you cryptodan. :thumbsup:

#9 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:43 PM

Have you tried the second half of the procedure mentioned by usama? (From point 7 onwards) It's worth a shot, your lack of upper and lowerfilters entries.

It is a little odd not to have filter entries with CD\DVD burning software installed. You might want to try uninstalling and reinstalling one of your CD\DVD burning apps. (Any change to upper\lowerfilters would affect all apps)
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#10 stlolth

stlolth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:19 PM

I tried several different burning programs, including reinstalling nero. And now i tried uninstalling the dvd-drive and restarting windows, still no change. I'd just go and buy a new drive, but this one works fine on my father's computer. I don't want to waste money on new drive that might have the same problem.

I now searched the whole registry for "lowerfilters" and "upperfilters" but the only place i could find them was
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\IDE\CdRomPHILIPS_PBDV16LSP1______________________B2.0____\4c44303135303633303034393632202020202020

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\IDE\CdRomPHILIPS_PBDV16LSP1______________________B2.0____\4c44303135303633303034393632202020202020

and when i tried to delete them there it said "unable to delete all specified values".

Edited by stlolth, 10 September 2008 - 01:30 PM.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:36 PM

If the drive works fine on another computer then the issue is either the cabling in the computer or something in your OS. Cables are cheap so go buy one before buying another drive.

#12 stlolth

stlolth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:33 AM

Like i said, i tried switching the drive from primary slave to secondary slave and it didn't help. I doubt both cables are corrupt, and i've never heard of a cable error that would make a drive work as a cd-writer but not a dvd-writer.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:01 AM

You did try to delete just the lower and upper filter parts of those registry keys, right? Not the whole key?

Louis

#14 stlolth

stlolth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:42 AM

Yes. It says "all specified values" no matter how many values you select, even if only one.

#15 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:34 AM

Right click where it says upperfilters and choose modify.
Delete the contents of the text box and click OK

Repeat for lowerfilters
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users