Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New To This Forum---my Internet Connection Is Keeps On Disconnecting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 s281975

s281975

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:15 AM

Friends,

We have DSL 256 kbps.
My neighbors house is having the DSL modem. I am taking a net connection from my neighbors house thru wireless connection.
once i connect the net it will work for sometime but after 15 to 20 mins it will disconnect.
then i have to click the repair menu in the network icon.
then it will connect.
what to do?
we have linksys modem.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:44 PM

There are a number of things that can cause a wireless connection to have difficulties like this. To begin with, when you are connected, what does your wireless connection manager say the signal strength is? If you are too far away from the router, you may have poor signal strength and be unable to keep a solid connection.

Additionally, if there are any disturbers near the wireless router, that can cause problems too. Do you know if there is a cordless phone base station or a microwave oven located near the router? Sometimes cordless phones do not need to be near the router itself but just need to be in either one of your homes to cause problems as many cordless phones run on the 2.4 GHz frequency, which is the same one that the wireless router runs on. If this is the case, you can always try to change the channel on the router.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:43 PM

Is your neighbor allowing you "a net connection" from his house? From the way you word your post, it seems as if he is allowing this.

If he does, he is (if it is a part of TOS/AUP) violating his ISP's Acceptable Use Policy, which will state something to the effect that he/she agrees that the service is only to be used by those who live at the service address, which is your neighbors house.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 September 2008 - 11:08 PM.

#4 nhessa

nhessa

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:10 PM

hi,
im also experiencing this kind of problem.. my internet connection keeps on disconnecting when my husband playing his online games.. i can't figure out where is the error on our computer 'coz our system language is on chinese characters, i can't read them and my husband and i is kind of noob in computers :thumbsup: .. so if anyone wants to help me, can you please kindly attach some image coz i'm referring on it..
were using windowsXP SP2.. broadband connection..
thank you very much in advance.. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users