Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted File Structure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:10 AM

Dear Experts,

Slaving a suspect drive just crashed my computer,
so I now have it in an external USB enclosure.

The file system is corrupted and it can be difficult to spin the drive up.
I have recovered the data which was in separate folders,
rather than in any of the 'system' folders, My Docs etc.

Granted that the HD may have had it, but I would like
to know if it is possible to fix the file structure.

Is there any way to run chkdsk on this 'external' drive.

In Tools, error checking, Windows cannot do it
and running chkdsk from the command line
results in the message 'cannot open volume for direct access'

It was a WinXP Home SP2 installation.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, or is it fit for doorstop,
rather than for purpose.

Thankyou.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

If you've tried various methods of reading the drive...and all were unsuccessful...and the jumper was properly set for each connection...I'd have to say it's going, if not gone.

Anytime I've had file structure problems, I found that a clean install was my chosen solution.

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:45 PM

You can run chkdsk on any drive from the command prompt (if the disk will allow it).
To do this, go to Start...Run...and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
In the black window that opens up type "chkdsk X: /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter
There must be a space between the chkdsk and the X:, and there must be a space between the X: and the /r
Replace the X with the letter of the drive that you want to check (leave the colon there).

If it won't run there, then there's a problem with the disk that Check Disk can't fix.

Edited by usasma, 09 September 2008 - 01:45 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 petewills

petewills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:49 PM

Thank you Louis, I agree. I have the most important part, i.e. data, so I am now treating fixing the disk as an exercise only.
One thing I have learned is that blue screens, 'unmountable volume' & disk boot errors, do not necessarily mean that one cannot recover the data.
Pete

John, thank you. I have already done the things you suggest and get 'cannot open volume for direct access' as mentioned in my post.
Anyway, the data is safe, so my colleague is content, has a new HDD and has learned the lesson about backing up.
Loved The Knack, first time of hearing.
Regards from the UK
Pete

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:28 AM

I would download a manufacturer's diagnostic and run it on the drive and see if a low-level format can salvage the drive for storage purposes.

Run the long diagnostic test first, before the low-level format.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users