Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newegg Authentication

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:31 AM

yesterday it wasn't there. Today i tried to read the mailer from newegg(with deals etc) and i got a password prompt. seemed phishy so i ended the task. Just wondering if everybody else is getting it too. Opened in gmail, with FF3 if it matters.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:09 AM

I just tried to open it with Roadrunner webmail and got the same password prompt. I believe it to be legit. I think it's a way to offer deals to confirmed customers
When in doubt, leave it alone
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:17 PM

hmm, weird. Cuz i just reopened it in Ubuntu on a different comp also using Firefox 3, and it opened just fine with no prompt thing. But yea i'm not putting my pass in there, no way. newegg has all kinds of info on me, no chance i'm giving it to someone

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:10 PM

Just got this email:

Dear e-Blast Subscriber,

We apologize to those of you who experienced some technical difficulties when trying to open today's edition of the Newegg e-Blast Newsletter. One of our servers was temporarily down, causing the e-Blast to display incorrectly for some recipients.

The e-Blast is now running correctly again, and we would like to reassure you that this was a purely internal technical issue—none of your private information has been accessed or leaked outside our secure network. We take our customers’ privacy very seriously and have run a thorough check to ensure that your personal data has not in any way been compromised, so please rest assured.

This morning’s temporary server failure is an extremely rare occurrence at Newegg and we are putting additional measures in place to ensure a similar problem will not occur again. We apologize for the inconvenience this morning’s technical difficulties may have caused you and thank you for your understanding and patience with the situation.

Sincerely,

The Newegg e-Blast Team

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users