Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Reboots And No Error Message Whatsoever

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sebato

Sebato

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:26 AM

Hi,

I'm having a huge problem and I don't know if it is hardware or software related. The error can not be reproduced, it happens in an seemingly random manner, it doesn't matter if the PC is doing something or not.

The symptom is pretty straight forward, every day at least once, the PC reboots (as in reset) without warning. I've read many arcticles on the interwebs and tried most of those solutions.

The problem first occured with a different windows installation. So I put up the system from the beginning, thinking it was related to malware or the likes.

So, what I did from the beginning is:

- format C: drive
- installed newest BIOS for my mainboard (thinking it could be a virus in there)
- pulled network plug
- installed windows XP professional, all updates for SP2, SP3 and finally all updates for SP3 (from winhelpline)
- network still unplugged, installed ESET NOD32
- installed spybot and firefox, network plugged in again, update to all program
- ran the following programs: a-squared Free, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Spybot - Search & Destroy, SpywareBlaster, McAfee Stinger

Thinking the problem should be gone, it happend again.

- bought new memory, because that seemed to be the most obvious choice

Well that didn't resolve the problem either. So here I am today, having to live with these annoying reboots, which hurt my hard drive. The only things left I can think of, are

- some rootkit or malware
- maybe the power supply has some sort of defect (350W which should be enough)
- bought a used graphics card (ATI X1950 PCIE) which is the only new hardware before this started happening

Now I don't have a clue on how to proceed and get rid of this error.

Edited by Sebato, 09 September 2008 - 05:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:52 AM

Try the steps here to locate any error messages: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491

If there aren't any error messages in those locations, then most likely the crash is occurring below the threshold that Windows can recognize.
The problem that you describe is most likely heat related - but could be with almost any component of your system. It's likely that it occurs when a program stresses a particular piece of hardware - so figuring out what's running at the time that it crashes is the most likely way to start to isolate it. This includes not only the programs that you're using, but also any scheduled tasks that may execute at that time.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:13 AM

What happens if you remove the video card and put in your older one?

What is your power supply?

#4 Sebato

Sebato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:56 AM

Okay, I think I found the application causing the resets. Seems to be the Ati HotKey Poller.

See for yourself:

Ereignistyp: Fehler
Ereignisquelle: Service Control Manager
Ereigniskategorie: Keine
Ereigniskennung: 7034
Datum: 09.09.2008
Zeit: 11:39:35
Benutzer: Nicht zutreffend
Computer: BLOODMONEY
Beschreibung:
Dienst "Ati HotKey Poller" wurde unerwartet beendet. Dies ist bereits 1 Mal passiert.

Weitere Informationen über die Hilfe- und Supportdienste erhalten Sie unter http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:30 PM

Boot into Safe Mode and see if you have issues there (the ATI services shouldn't load then).
If that's the case, then uninstall the ATI stuff (maybe even use the uninstaller they've got on their website) and see how it works.
Install the latest ATI driver then to see if that fixes it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Sebato

Sebato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:02 AM

Hello,

sorry for not posting so long, but I tried to live with the problem, but now the restarts have almost destroyed my harddisk, so I'm really looking into fixing this.

The strange thing is, that the service "ATI Hotkey Poller" is not even loaded at the start, I deactivated it. So how is it possible that this can cause the reboots?

I have deinstalled and reinstalled the drives and software and I'm using the latest version of the drivers.

Edited by Sebato, 21 January 2009 - 06:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users