I'm having a huge problem and I don't know if it is hardware or software related. The error can not be reproduced, it happens in an seemingly random manner, it doesn't matter if the PC is doing something or not.
The symptom is pretty straight forward, every day at least once, the PC reboots (as in reset) without warning. I've read many arcticles on the interwebs and tried most of those solutions.
The problem first occured with a different windows installation. So I put up the system from the beginning, thinking it was related to malware or the likes.
So, what I did from the beginning is:
- format C: drive
- installed newest BIOS for my mainboard (thinking it could be a virus in there)
- pulled network plug
- installed windows XP professional, all updates for SP2, SP3 and finally all updates for SP3 (from winhelpline)
- network still unplugged, installed ESET NOD32
- installed spybot and firefox, network plugged in again, update to all program
- ran the following programs: a-squared Free, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Spybot - Search & Destroy, SpywareBlaster, McAfee Stinger
Thinking the problem should be gone, it happend again.
- bought new memory, because that seemed to be the most obvious choice
Well that didn't resolve the problem either. So here I am today, having to live with these annoying reboots, which hurt my hard drive. The only things left I can think of, are
- some rootkit or malware
- maybe the power supply has some sort of defect (350W which should be enough)
- bought a used graphics card (ATI X1950 PCIE) which is the only new hardware before this started happening
Now I don't have a clue on how to proceed and get rid of this error.
Edited by Sebato, 09 September 2008 - 05:43 AM.