Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Login Files Moved Then Returned

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SiLvErH4wK

SiLvErH4wK

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:00 AM

To make a long story a little shorter=

I recently had a major problem that was cured by XP's Recovery Console. During the process, before I figured out how to do a "System Restore" from the console, I did a few things I maybe should not have. I did not have internet access at the time and was desperate, tired, frustrated, and upset. A great combo when a serious problem occurs threatening you to do a complete re-install of Windows. So anyway here is what I did.....

1. First I pulled and swapped the RAM to clear it.
(Before that I only got a BSOD no matter what boot option I chose. This atleast got rid of the BSOD and let me chose safe-mode.) Unfortunately my PS2 mouse and keyboard would not work. No legacy setting in bios, so now what??......

2. In the recovery console I executed the "fixmbr" command. :thumbsup:

3. In the recovery console I executed the "fixboot" command. :flowers:

So anyway, 2&3 did not get the mouse or keyboard to work or seem to help in anyway and so I am still stuck at the logon screen in safe-mode without a way to click on a user name and/or enter a password. So....
(keep in mind I am about to say *!@# it and re-install at this point, but I am so close to entering safe-mode I try one more thing to get in)....

4. In the recovery console I move the following files to another drive thinking maybe this would somehow by-pass the logon screen all together and atleast let me into safe-mode to backup some files before I re-install the OS:

login.cmd
logonui.exe
logonui.exe.manifest
logonuix.exe

This again did not help. SO! After all 4 of these which only #1 did any good, I finally figure out how to do a system restore from the recovery console. WALLA!! I can now boot into windows and all is back to normal except:

You guessed it.... my login screen is gone. I copied the 4 files back to the System32 directory, but this did not help.
All I get is the small logon window like this:
Posted Image

Not the welcome screen I normally had like this:
Posted Image

So anyway, after all that was said and done, I want my welcome screen back. I also normally use LogonStudio which will no longer run. Instead it now gives me the following error: "Run-time error '53' File not found". What file can't be found it does not say. So anyway.... PLEASE HELP if you can. I would really like everything back to normal.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:36 AM

Id reinstall Logon Studio and see if that fixes the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users