Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Post- And a Question that I hope someone can answer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 King Burrito

King Burrito

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:56 PM

Hey yall! This is my first post here, and I have a question about programming/ Windows XP that I hope someone can answer. I have a folder on ym desktop called "Stuff" and I want to bring out all of the folders in "Stuff" onto the desktop. Normally, this wouldnt be a problem. But, I have probably 400 folders in there easy. If there some sort of script in PERL that I can make? Or maybe it can be done using the Command Prompt? Any Suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
King Burrito

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:01 AM

How about this?

Double click the "Stuff" folder so you can see all the sub-folders.
Click the "Restore Down" button so you can make the window not fill the screen.
Move the window so you can see a blank area of your desktop.
In the Stuff window click Edit>Select All ( it doesn't matter if you cannot see all the sub-folders they will be selected)
Click on any of the highlighted subfolders and drag to the desktop.
The Stuff folder should now be empty and you will have a desktop filled with icons so you can hardly find anything. Is that what you're trying to achieve?

Personally I'd leave them where they are. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 King Burrito

King Burrito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:04 AM

Duh! :thumbsup: That was a serious brain fart. Im taking them out of the "Stuff" folder because I want to delete them, but Im wierd in the way that I want to separate each and every folder on the desktop before I go and delete them. :flowers:

Thanks,
King Burrito

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users