Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble With Starting New Network

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yukmouf

yukmouf

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:18 PM

I am new to networking, so with the little experience I have, I am still learning as i go. I am trying to access a shared folder on my desktop from the laptop.
The desktop is shown in my network connections but when i try to explore the desktop, i get an error. Basically tells me that the dns name unknown/check the spelling. Just not sure where to find that info at. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The G Bomb

The G Bomb

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:56 AM

Things to look for would be that the shared folders have permissions to allow browsing of the files, that firewalls allow network browsing, file and print sharing has been enabled, and maybe consider not using simple file sharing.

You may not have seen the other post regarding starting out on a network, but the resources recommended by dbough would be a great place to start finding out info:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/169273/need-assistance-in-setting-up-a-network/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users