Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Xp Home To Run

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 333nnn

333nnn

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:56 PM

i pushed the plug of the surge protector that my pc is plugged into into the wall socket hard to see if the plug was in all the way and my computer shut off. this had never happened before. when i turned the computer back on the o/s wouldn't start. this had never happened before either. i had an unopened xp home cd for system builders, so i installed that but when i rebooted i got a screen saying: "press any key to boot from cd". i've pressed billions of keys but nothing happens. i'm sure the keyboard is working because each time i press a key it beeps. why did my computer shut off, why did my original o/s stop working and how do i get passed the "press any key to boot from cd" screen? thanks for any replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:01 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:36 PM

Did you go into the BIOS and change the boot order, making the CD?DVD drive the first device?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 333nnn

333nnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

when i turned the computer back on i chose every option including "last known good configuration". nothing worked. i think there were two screens with options, and i tried them all several times but couldn't get the o/s to work. i don't have the recovery cd or any cd for the original o/s. i had an unopened xp home cd for home builders, so i installed that. i believe i overwrote the xp home over my original xp pro o/s because the option i chose was i believe to overwrite the current o/s. after xp home installed the computer rebooted automatically and the message "press any key to boot from the cd" comes up. when i press a key the message "couldn't open drive multi(0) disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) ntldr:couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)" comes up.

#5 mdoggy39

mdoggy39

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:11 PM

when u installed windows, did u format the drive first? Did the setup finish??
you just say you pushed all the buttons, did windows finish installing?

#6 333nnn

333nnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:37 PM

I don't know how to format a drive. I believe xp home installed because I saw it go through the installation steps then the computer automatically rebooted.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:53 PM

The problem that I see is...you tried to do a repair install of XP Pro with a XP Home OEM CD.

No can do...you cannot use one version to repair a different version.

What I would suggest is...delete whatever is on that drive now because it probably won't work properly, even if it does boot.

You can remove that hard drive...temporarily install it in another system...and use the Disk Management function or an XP install CD...to delete everything on that drive.

Remove the drive, put it back in your system, then...do a clean install of the XP Home...begin anew.

BTW: Did you follow the guidance/suggestion provided by budapest? Have you tried to run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console of the XP Home CD?

If not, I think I'd try that.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users