Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely Slow Internet Speed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jean-CT

Jean-CT

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:11 PM

I've had cogeco high speed internet for almost a year now, no problems, very fast speed, all around awesome

But since the start of this month, it has been brutally slow. I cannot watch youtube videos, it will play, stop, play, stop, etc, even if I pause the video ahead, come back 30 minutes later, it still hasn't loaded up. this is terrible, and extremely frustrating.
Even to register to this site, it toke me 15 minutes.... maybe more, trying to get to my hotmail account toke around 5 minutes for the damn thing to connect... alot of websites wont load up, or will take ages.... very frustrating and i seek your help

I use firefox 3.0 i believe, not IE. I've tried my connection on IE, and its about as slow as firefox, and firefox is fast, when my connection was nice and healthy off course

I'm pretty sure i do not have any virus/spyware/adware. I use Avast !, spybot-search and destroy, Ad-Aware, CCleaner, SuperAntiSpyware and Comodo firewall. i Scan regularly, and find nothing.

So i don't know what is causing all this. and its pissing me right the hell off. Please help me out guys. You will probably ask me to download hijack this, though i am not sure how to use it

Thank you in advance !

--Jean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:31 PM

Start by reading this:

Slow Computer?, Use this troubleshooting checklist

Do you have a desktop computer? If so, when was the last time the innards were cleaned?

http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-the-Inside-of-a-Computer

Edit to add: there are other reasons why a computer will run slow.
A hardware issue is one. Another one a lot of people don't think about is their firewall and antivirus may not play nice with a system. If you have a security suite, it could possibly be that causing the problem.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 September 2008 - 06:38 PM.

#3 Jean-CT

Jean-CT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:40 PM

I doubt it could be because my computer has a little dust no ?
And no, I am preety sure im not infected with malware, even when i play online games my connection is bad.

#4 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:48 PM

Make sure that any and all firewall programs are shut off.

Are you using a router? If so, is it wireless? If that is the case, is it a secured network or did you not create a network password? How many computers are connected to the connection?

#5 Jean-CT

Jean-CT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:26 AM

Why would I shut off my firewall ? its been doing it job for the pasts 8 months, just this month, its been ridiculously slow, im pretty sure it is the actual connection, I am good at keeping my computer clean

Yes, im using a router, not wireless, cable, im not sure if its secured. but soon i will try dusting the computer, because on boot up, i can tell something is wrong with m hardware, since for the few 5 minutes of the computer being on, i can see my screen, flashing , it goes white- brown nish - then goes back to being nice and white, Maybe a probelm with my ATI video card ?

Still, im going to try dusting, but if any one knows how to fix this with cogeco, it would be awesome

I used to be able to go on youtube, and the video would stream almost instantly, now, it wont even budge :thumbsup:

#6 Jean-CT

Jean-CT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:57 PM

I have solved my problem, thank you, vacuming my computer worked wonders ! its back to itself, im very pleased with the help, though i had no faith that it would work :thumbsup:

Thanks guys !

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

You need to clean the innards every couple of months to keep the dust from building up.
I've helped others to do this, and when I looked inside their cases, the dust was so thick you could grow potatoes in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users