Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autochk.exe Missing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shokotan

Shokotan

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:21 PM

Hello, when I turn on my computer, Windows gives me a message that says that the "AutoChk.exe program not found -- skipping auto check".

But otherwise, it boots normally and there doesn't appear to be any other problems. Is there a way to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:14 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

First of all, I'd say that you are pretty lucky. It seems that most reports of that message are accompanied by BSODs, reboots or other system problems.

Let's first understand what autochk.exe is: http://www.auditmypc.com/process/autochk.asp

Now...I would try to run chkdsk /r on the system. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r, exactly as shown (chkdsk /r) (minus the parens, minus the comma, with a space between the k and /).

We are attempting to see if you can access/start that process.

Louis

#3 Shokotan

Shokotan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:39 PM

Well, I suppose I should be relieved about that ;)

...I tried to run chkdsk /r and got this message:

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:05 PM

That's a normal message when you try to run chkdsk from within Windows, so it looks like it works :thumbsup:.

I guess that I would run sfc /scannow just in case system files are damaged or missing.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Louis

#5 Shokotan

Shokotan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:51 PM

Oh, ok. :thumbsup:

Hm, I ran the sfc /sannow, but I didn't get any alerts, so I suppose my system files are fine?

Also, I have a folder called i386, and there is an autochk.exe there. Is it possible I can copy the file into the place that it should be in to stop getting the message?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:36 PM

Well...have you even verified that the file is not where it should be?

If it's not, I would replace it with a copy...I suppose.

I guess the question (for me) is: What was that error message supposed to convey to you when it appeared?

Perhaps we have been taking the wrong view...when files are out of order, Windows has been known to have problems (which is why chkdsk /r and defrag are good innate tools of XP).

Louis

FWIW: Related post, http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-...-not-found.html

At this point, I would suggest just letting chkdsk /r run (you have to reboot)...then trying to defrag the system. In the absence of real symptoms...I don't know what else to do.

Edited by hamluis, 09 September 2008 - 05:41 PM.

#7 Shokotan

Shokotan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:25 PM

I tried replacing it and it didn't work.

Either way, the situation seems to be fixed now...

A registry key with the value "Isdelete" in the location HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\BootExecute was disabled or something. I re-enabled it and rebooted... and I didn't get the "autochk.exe missing" message again. I might've accidentally unchecked it before... That teaches me to mess with the registry. :thumbsup:

Well, thank you very much for your help. :flowers: At least now I know there's nothing wrong with any of my files.

Edited by Shokotan, 10 September 2008 - 04:26 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:59 PM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users