I am running WinXP Home SP2 on an eMachine T6412 with Athlon 64 3400+ CPU.
Here's what happened:
- Got infected with AntiVirus 2008
- Tried to install SuperAntiSpyware to repair but Windows Installer was damaged and anything I tried to install or uninstall came up with: The Windows Installer Service could not be acessed. This may be because you are in safe mode...
- I went in and manually disabled AntiVirus 2008
- I spent several hours trying to repair Windows Installer with no luck.
- Decided to do a repair install, which caused me to start updating my Windows installation from my original SP1 to SP2. I had lots of difficulties and failed installations. I had to basically download the files then switch to safe mode to install them.
- Tried to install SuperAntiSpyware again and bang: Windows Installer cannot be accessed!!!!
- Decided to try to repair Windows Installer one more time through Repair Console. Everything seemed to go OK and then when I went to reboot, I got the following: INF file minint\boot is corrupt or missing, status 14. This comes up right after the post and I am unable to do a reinstall or even access the recovery console. I have tried to create aslipstreamed boot disc with SP 2 already on it and still get this error or it's partner: INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing