Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inf File Minint\boot Is Corrupt Or Missing, Status 14

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 roberta47

roberta47

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:04 PM

Hi all. I've been researching this problem for 2 days on my own and hope that someone here can help.

I am running WinXP Home SP2 on an eMachine T6412 with Athlon 64 3400+ CPU.

Here's what happened:
  • Got infected with AntiVirus 2008
  • Tried to install SuperAntiSpyware to repair but Windows Installer was damaged and anything I tried to install or uninstall came up with: The Windows Installer Service could not be acessed. This may be because you are in safe mode...
  • I went in and manually disabled AntiVirus 2008
  • I spent several hours trying to repair Windows Installer with no luck.
  • Decided to do a repair install, which caused me to start updating my Windows installation from my original SP1 to SP2. I had lots of difficulties and failed installations. I had to basically download the files then switch to safe mode to install them.
  • Tried to install SuperAntiSpyware again and bang: Windows Installer cannot be accessed!!!!
  • Decided to try to repair Windows Installer one more time through Repair Console. Everything seemed to go OK and then when I went to reboot, I got the following: INF file minint\boot is corrupt or missing, status 14. This comes up right after the post and I am unable to do a reinstall or even access the recovery console. I have tried to create aslipstreamed boot disc with SP 2 already on it and still get this error or it's partner: INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing
Has anybody out there got any ideas?

TIA,

Roberta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:57 PM

BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

I don't have much faith in persons/users who get infected...and then self-clean...and subsequently...have system problems.

It could happen...I just don't think that I've seen a single poster who claimed to have done such...fail to report system problems afterwards.

It's painless and easy to make sure.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 September 2008 - 06:00 PM.

#3 roberta47

roberta47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:28 AM

Hamlius,

Thank you for your helpful post. Unfortunately, since the windows installer was already damaged it was impossible to use the tools that I had previously learned about through this forum and I had to stop the constant popups so that I could try to work on other issues.

Thanks again, and if you think of anything else that might help me solve my problem, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Roberta47

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:53 AM

Have you read this article?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 roberta47

roberta47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestion and the link. Unfortunately I've read that article more times than I care to remember and have tried each and everything to no avail. I just keep looking.

Thanks again though for your help

roberta

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:55 AM

If you're still infected with Antivirus 2008, you'll have to post in the Am I Infected forum for some expert advice (it's located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ )

If you're not infected, then I'd have to suggest a repair installation of Windows XP.
DO NOT TRY THIS IF YOU'RE STILL INFECTED - it can cause serious issues with your Windows installation.
If you have Internet Explorer 7 installed, read this first: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964
Then try the steps for a repair installation here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

A repair install of Windows XP is supposed to leave your data and programs intact - but, as with any procedure of this sort, it's advisable to back up your data before proceeding "just in case".
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users