Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dialup Networking Alerts Popping Up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 azwanzig

azwanzig

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:51 PM

Hi. I'm a first time poster to the windows 2000 forum, so bear with me. I am running Windows 2000 pro sp4.

I just worked through the removal of some malware on the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, [topic="165741-15"]Virtumonde, Pop Ups, Url.adtrgt.com[/topic]. After running combofix, I started getting Dial-Up Networking alerts pop up when not online stating that, "Windows cannot access 0.pool.ntp.org. Would you like to connect to a network." The site address which Windows cannot access changes from alert to alert. Sometimes it is www.google.com, other times it is sites I don't recognize. This began after running combofix. I never have seen these alerts previously. It seems that there are programs trying to access the internet, and not finding a connection issue this alert. SifuMike, on the malware forum, said that my hijackthis log is clean so there shouldn't be any malware trying to access the internet. Is there a way to figure out which programs are trying to access the internet so that I can get into their settings to disable them? or does anyone have any other ideas as to what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

Is there a way to figure out which programs are trying to access the internet so that I can get into their settings to disable them?

You could try opening your task manager to see which processes are running. :thumbsup:

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:57 PM

SifuMike

told you that combofix would break that npt program, uninstall it and then give us some clues to what else is broken
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users