Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kraneous

kraneous

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:24 PM

I'm a new user and really need some help with a problem.

I have been searching the internet desperatly for a solution to my problem but cant seem to find one. Here are my specs:

-Running HP2700 series laptop
-windows vista home premium Sp1 32bit
-2gb RAM

Here is my problem:
-When i start windows normally i get the green status bar followed by a black screen with just a cursor. The cursor moves fine but the boot prcess doesn't go any further.
-I have tried to run the startup repair utility but it claims no problems are found.
-i can boot sucessfully in safe mode but cannot use system restore because it can't find any restore points (which is weird because i have set restore points in the past.
-Sometimes if i try to boot with advanced options (such as "start with setting from last successfull boot"), i will get to the vista loading screen(bluish screen with the circle "busy" cursor and language bar in the bottom corner) but it will not advance to the login screen.

Now, I am not a total newbie to computers but this is my first comp. with vista. Is there something im missing? I'm going to try to reinstall windows once i find the vista disc that came with it but until i locate that is there anything that anyone can suggest( besides running my computer in safe mode all the time?)

Any help would be MUCHO appreciated.
Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:56 PM

Try booting to Safe Mode with Networking, download the latest version of your system's video drivers, then uninstall the current video drivers. Then install the freshly downloaded one's - this will fix any corruption that may have occurred with the video drivers that are currently installed on your system.

Startup Repair takes care of the majority of problems like this - and most of those that are left are due to corrupted video drivers. If this doesn't fix it, post back and we'll start looking a bit deeper.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 kraneous

kraneous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:16 PM

So i figured out that the problem was caused by my symantec (norton) antivirus software. how stupid is that!!! I was forced to retore my laptop to "factory conditions" unfortunately that meant losing all my data :-( at least it was my laptop and not my desktop...that would have been tragic. anyways theres a moral to this story DONT USE NORTON/SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS!!!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:12 AM

Thanks for letting us know. It seems that we're going to have to start asking about Norton products before pursuing the normal troubleshooting routines - too many problems lately!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users