Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Will Not Boot After Drives Renamed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 anderhill

anderhill

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:18 PM

Our PC changed drive letters for some strange reason, then none of our boys' programs would run as it would look for the c: drive which for some reason was now the D: drive. Had a supposed knowledgeable person over yesterday to try to remedy this problem and he renamed the drives in regedit. Now it doesn't get past a black screen. The lights on the box come on and it goes to the CD drive, goes to the floppy drive, but then winds down and the monitor never turns on. Please tell me this is an easy fix as I have no money to fix this right now! He wants to come bcak tonight to try to remedy this new problem, but would rather not let him at it again. I am some what knowledgeable myself with computers, and tried the Win XP CD to see if it would load- to no avail.

Edited by anderhill, 08 September 2008 - 12:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:55 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

On the black screen, did it contain the blinking cursor in the upper left corner?

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Louis

#3 anderhill

anderhill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:25 PM

Nothing at all - the monitor power light doesn't even turn on. I would suspect monitor aor video card - but no beeps and ithappened when he rebooted after renaming the drives.

Edited by anderhill, 08 September 2008 - 01:26 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:14 PM

Never let someone leave...after they claim to have repaired anything :thumbsup:.

I don't know...the fact that you get no video signal has me worried.

Have you checked all connections?

I think you owe it to yourself...to give this person an opportunity to fix whatever he undid.

For what it's worth: The only way that the boot drive can change it's letter assigned (properly) is by doing a repair install of XP. Takes about 35 minutes, is painless.

Original problem: The only time I've seen a C: change to a D: drive...is when a repair install was attempted with 2 hard drives attached. XP saw the other drive and assumed it was C: and named the boot drive D:. I figured it out and undid it :flowers:.

The only other times that I know that a system will become flaky and do things like this: RAM situations and/or CMOS battery needs changing. Neither is earth-shaking, both irritating :trumpet:.

Louis

#5 anderhill

anderhill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:47 AM

I'm up and running, I pulled the battery and was able to reinstall / repair windows, it does seem unable to find a couple of files as it's installing though, so it's not 100% and if I shut it down I need to start over. Needless to say tonight I start backing up everything I want to save and a format / new install are in the works over the weekend.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:42 AM

Well done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users