Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So I Have This Old Lap Top

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 loque

loque

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:01 PM

Sorry, didn't know where to post this question!

I was given this old laptop a while ago by someone who works for a computer company. The Windows installation on it is damaged and there are vital components missing like paint and other stuff.

Do laptops have onboard drivers? I want to stick a new copy of windows on and I dunno if it'll work once I've done it.

Fanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:06 PM

Yep

Just like any other PC (desktop or laptop) there will be specific drivers for it.
I'm assuming you know the make and model, so why don't you check out the manufacurers website and see if you can find the drivers there.
Steve

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:42 PM

It's the operating system that has the driver support.

IMO, XP has excellent driver support for older systems...I'd just try to install XP and see if it comes up with basic drivers for the system.

Make and model of the laptop?

As slix suggested, it's still a good idea to download the drivers before doing the XP clean install. But, if one has two systems, you can just make the clean install and get the drivers anytime on the other system, if they are needed.

Another alternative: Repair Install, How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users