Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what's the difference,uncheck or rem?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 newbeee

newbeee

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 06:37 PM

Could someone please explain to my small brain, what is the difference when I go into autoexec.bat, I see something I'm not sure of, can I just uncheck it, and see how things run? :thumbsup:
Then if I think that I may need that specific thing, I can go back and check it in autoexec.bat.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated,
Thanks, newbeee :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 06:43 PM

Autoexec uses the REM statement
Msconfig uses the check boxes.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:35 PM

Thanks raw for your speedy reply. I guess I need to know if it's OK or safe to uncheck in misconfig?
Thankys,
newbeee :thumbsup:

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:00 PM

Hi newbee

What is it you want to uncheck? You have to be careful what you do in there. If you click on Startup Database at the top at the page you can search the items in msconfig.

What is your operating system?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:13 PM

Hi there Leurgy,
Win98se
I was going to uncheck a c:\windows command bla bla bla in autoexec.bat.
I did go thru misconfig>clicked the tab titled autoexec.bat and saw the check mark. I just want to test it to see if I can temporarily stop it from loading.
thanks,
newbeee
p.s. you had previously suggested in another one of my post to rem it, but if I need it back, how do I go about it. I thought the uncheck would work for a temporary fix till I see how things run. :thumbsup:
Thanks again,
newbeee

Edited by newbeee, 24 April 2005 - 09:19 PM.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:17 PM

I was going to uncheck a c:\windows command bla bla bla in autoexec.bat.

Could you be a little more specific? The bla bla bla part may prevent your computer from booting.

Its not a good idea to uncheck things to see what will happen. Find out what they do first.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:26 PM

Leurgy, please see my "edit" on my previous post to this thread. Guess we both type tooooo fast.
It's that darn c:\windows\command\mscdex.exe /d:macd001 /m:10.
I'm afraid to rem it just in case I need to edit it, or can I do both. :thumbsup: I did uncheck c:windows\odihlp.exe and now I don't receive that error when I boot up.
Thanks,
newbeee

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:30 PM

If you have Spybot installed, you can use its system start up tool to review these, and make some decisions based on the information provided in the command line column. In addition, you can go back to the tool and undo what you have done if you change your mind.
Keep in memory that you need to be very careful about what you disable because it can prevent your operating system from working; use the BC startup data base to check each item before rushing in.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:34 PM

It's that darn c:\windows\command\mscdex.exe /d:macd001 /m:10.

Thats the driver for your CD drive. If you uncheck that it may not work.

Unchecking in msconfig is the same as placing rem in front of a line in the autoexec.bat file. Its at C:\autoexec.bat and can be opened with notepad. If you do open with notepad be sure to remove the checkmark that says always open this type of file with......... or you'll really be in big trouble. If you need it back, remove the rem. (Put a space after rem).

#10 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:00 PM

Thanks to all of you, this is a great forum. The win98se system isn't on line so spybot S&D isn't loaded.
I'm going to unchek it.
I do have to apologize, I do know not to start a new post with a previous post relating to my problem(indirectly). :thumbsup: All I wanted in this post was info on unchecking vs rem.
Now I'll get back to my previous post "CDROM not recognized.
Thanks to all of you,
newbeee

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:21 PM

Unchecking in msconfig is the same as placing rem in front of a line in the autoexec.bat file.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about unchecking the items under the autoexec.bat and config.sys tabs in msconfig.

(Put a space after rem).

You put the space in when you put the rem in and you remove the space when you take it out.

#12 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:38 PM

Thanks for that clairification. :thumbsup: I just printed it.
Back to the drawing board.
Thanks,
newbeee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users