Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sdfix Commands Hijacked

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 darryl d-e

darryl d-e

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:27 AM

Norton AV first told me that the intrusion detection wasn't operating on an old Win 2000 PC. Found SDFix as a tool to kill Worm or whatever.

During execution, SDFix calls "FINDSTR.exe", and the error message "cannot open FINDSTR" appears.

During the next part of the process, a "Registry Editor error appears indicating "Cannot import assosfix.reg: Error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error."

Then after some time, the system indicates that a restart is required. When restarted, another part of the program attempts to find specific worms. This program hangs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Darryl D-E, CISSP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:39 AM

FINDSTR.exe

Is the command on the computer or corrupted?

With xp it's in the sys32 folder

There are several tools in sdfix if you look?

Most any W2k computer I see needs either sp4 or a repair disk with sp4 slipstreamed, just too old and corrupted

I actually gave all my software and media for it to my last client that won't upgrade

Edited by DaChew, 08 September 2008 - 10:39 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users