Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp home systems - info on reformat

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pburrier

pburrier

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 05:53 PM

Hi Bleeping,

We I've become the resident go to person regarding computers and my best friend told me her computer hadn't been working.

It is a Dell system w/ XP home edition / 40gb hard disk (i believe and will confirm tomorrow i hope.)

In the two years that she has owned the system she never had a virus checker or spyware of any sort on the system. It is one of the worse cases I have ever encountered.

I downloaded ad-awareSE and after several attempts tried to run it... it made it through after about 2 hours of scanning. (Please note: this computer is only used for email and usually yahoo games, checking lottery etc...)

It had over 460 something infected files and cleaned up all but 16. Besides the trojans it's infected with some version of BugBear and the story doesn't get any better... this was two weeks ago. After my own computer problems which OldTimer graciously helped me with recently ... I was directed to Panda Scan and Housecall.

I set her computer up to download Panda Scan which took almost an hour + to load. Then we set it to test.... 14+ hours later... it was approximately 80% finished her system locked up.

My thought process is to format the hard drive and reload from scratch. I have been searching the web for info on doing just this and have printed umteen articles which might help guide me.

I was going to at least try to export her bookmarks to cdrw disk and start from there but before I go in head first I thought better of it and decided to go ahead and post to you.

I respect the vast knowledge and advice I have come to expect from Bleeping as you have saved my butt many times since my discovery of you all a while back. You all always have steered me in the right direction and Lord knows I could use some steering on this one before I proceed.

I know I will have to update all her software (includind to XP sp2) and drivers once reloaded not to mention setting her up on the recommended anti-virus, spyware and firewall suggested in earlier posts. Either way I know I have a long way to go before I sleep... but I don't think you all ever sleep so ... I will await to hear from you all before doing anything any further.

I had just intended to clean her hard drive up and then contact you all as usual with HJT log eventually but her system is so screwed up I don't even know if I can get that far. Eager to see what you all say about it.

Forever in debt to Bleeping, Patty Burrier

Edited by pburrier, 24 April 2005 - 06:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:13 PM

Hi pburrier,

What you are facing is one I also face at my job. When is it better to clean vrs just starting over? If you want to reformat the drive, I think Dell sends a CD or a CD pack that will allow you to restore the system back to the point of when it was sold to you. These CDs should be marked as system restore disks, or something close. Most of the time they come with the computer. I know with Compaq/HP they give you this disk with an operating system disk.

Usually you place the restore disk in the CD drive and allow the computer to boot to it. Follow the prompts and allow it to work. This does erase EVERYTHING. Overall, as bad as the experience seems, you will have a clean system in the end.

One word on saving things to move to your new software install. Be sure you load an antivirus program on first and check everything going on to the new system. Also do all update to XP as well as any antivirus packages/ anti spyware packages before loading anything. I know you stated as much... but just reminding you :thumbsup:

You may have to call Dell if these disks aren't available.

I hope this helps,

Rigel

PS... Thank you for your kind words. OldTimer rocks!

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:37 AM

If you haven't read them yet, here's a couple of our Tutorials, that should provide you with some helpful information:

Steps to take when connecting a new computer to the Internet
How to move Internet Explorer Favorites to another computer
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 pburrier

pburrier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:42 PM

Thank you both for the suggestions and tutorial links - I am armed and dangerous now.

I will be back in touch either upon completion or for more assistance.

You all hang the moon...

Sincerely, Patty

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 10:46 PM

Your welcome, Patty.
Be sure to post back if you need any help.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 pburrier

pburrier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:38 PM

THIS IS A DONE DEAL... I DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO CLOSE TOPICS BUT I WANTED TO RID YOU ALL OF ONE AT LEAST.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users