Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Crash?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 hennessy

hennessy

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:14 AM

Hello, i am having a computer problem once again, and i have decided to ask you computer techs how to fix it. This is my problem: There is a little yellow icon thing in the system tray saying "Updates are ready for your computer". Or "Click here to install computer updates". So i clicked it and it took me to the installation of Windows XP Service Pack 3. So i let it install, and then when it was finished it said "Click here to restart your computer". So, i clicked there to restart my computer. So as it restarts, all it does it keep restarting, right before it gets to the login screen, the computer just restarts again. And it does this, and i haven't been able to use my computer. It wont let me go into safe mode, because it just restarts before i get to it. Do you guys know what the problem is, and how to fix it. Thank you soo much :thumbsup: Here are some computer specs:

512mb Ram
1.6ghz Processor
8mb Graphics Card
WAS Windows XP, Until i installed the SP 3. Thing.
Thats all i remember right now lol.

If you guys know anything about this please help me out. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:45 AM

Take a look, see if any apply: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=c...amp;btnG=Search

Louis

#3 hennessy

hennessy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:51 AM

Ehh i looked @ all these. None of them seem to help me, thanks anyway. They only the problem and why it was caused, but not how to fix it. :/
I really need help, i have alot of info i need to get off that computer. :thumbsup:

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:59 AM

You may have to do a system restore, and update all your drivers first before you upgrade to SP3. Could you please be more specific on your computer specs and list brands.

#5 hennessy

hennessy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:43 PM

sorry i cant, i cant login into the computer or view its resources....

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:17 PM

Can you get into safe mode?
Regards,

Alan.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:54 PM

Well...to break the perpetual reboot pattern...seems to be a start.

I'd either short the CMOS jumper on the motherboard...or remove the CMOS battery...in an attempt to try to at least access the BIOS.

Short The CMOS Jumper - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/207507-28-help-reset-bios

Louis

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:00 AM

Try getting into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key rapidly immediately after the BIOS post screen (the one with your computer's logo) appears. If you get to the Windows splash screen - it's too late.

In early versions of SP3 problems were had with HP computers and some other, AMD based systems. The fixes were to disable the intelppm.sys driver, or to start the computer with a flash drive plugged in. ( http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl...ticleId=9084418 )

More articles that refer to these issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 lauram2

lauram2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:59 AM

ok, so, I'm having the same issues. If I can't find my xp discs, then what? Is there a way to reload anything to get it going or am I out of luck? I was able to hit the F8 button and got some additional options, but nothing worked, it still reboots, to the screen offering safe mode or safe mode with networking, etc. It never gets past that. I thought this had to do with a power surge but after reading this, it appears it was an update from windows causing the problem.

Thank you.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:18 AM

Hi lauram2

I'd suggest that you add this to your topic located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry939159

Each problem is different and it's best to keep them located in their own thread. FWIW - I'm responding to this post over in your other topic.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 hennessy

hennessy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:34 AM

Nope i cant even get into safe mode. All i can do is goto the F8 screen, and click sometihng, but it always restarts be4 it gets to what its supposed to goto. I have never made it to a login screen yet. Any help?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:05 AM

Do you have accessto another computer? If so you may want to try to get a BIOS update for your motherboard and update it.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:04 AM

I don't recommend a BIOS update, especially at this early a stage in the troubleshooting process. A BIOS flash is a dangerous procedure, and if not followed exactly (and completely uninterrupted) it can hose your system beyond easy repair.

Do you have your XP installation CD? Can you use it to get into the Recovery Console? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:38 AM

The reason why I recommended the BIOS update is that something with the SP update is making the computer not boot windows at all. I had this issue before, and a BIOS Update solved the issue for me.

#15 hennessy

hennessy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:19 AM

How can i update it when i cant get into the computer? I dont understand -_-. And i want to keep my stuff on the computer, so if i install XP again. Ill loose all my information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users