Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going To Have New Computer Built

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kelley k

kelley k

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:25 AM

Hi I am planning on having a computer custom built for me in February. Since I have so much time I really want to research it throughly beforehand. I really dont know to much about computers so I need help selecting the componets. I am thinking Vista 64 bit OS with the max ram of 8GB. I also want a huge hard drive maybe even a terabyte. I want the computer to be lightning fast of course and need a top of the line Graphics card as well as a killer sound card as I use the computer for my stereo. Please tell me what your ideal system would consist of. I am willing to spend no more than 2000. Thanks for your help. Oh by the way I use my computer for gaming, graphics, music and media the most

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:13 AM

Why not wait until January...before doing serious research?

Do you have any idea of how things are likely to change in 4 months? If not, just take a look at some "reviews" of "hot" products from the beginning of the year.

What games? How are you going to anticipate the games you'll want to play in Feb 09...that aren't even out yet?

For research purposes:

http://www.daileyint.com/build/

http://www.buildyourowncomputer.net/learntobuild.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 September 2008 - 10:19 AM.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:18 AM

I going to move you to the System Building forum

Let me add, you must first decide which processor you are going to use. This will determine which motherboard to look for.
Get a decent case without a power supply. Then get a name-brand,higher wattage power supply. My take on a terabyte drive.
Yes, it will store a lot of stuff, but it's still only one drive and if it goes bad and you don't back-up, you lose a terabyte of stuff. I'd rather go with multiple drives. Could you imagine defragging a terabyte drive? Forget starting it and going to bed, you might as well go on a 3 day vacation
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:50 PM

Doing research this early is largely fruitless. Wait until December or January to begin choosing your hardware. Tech changes constantly, almost anything you choose now will be obsolete by Feb. However, now is a good time to research what is coming up in terms of processors and GPU's.

3939.png

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:18 PM

Don't forget, Intel is suppose to be releasing the new Nehalem processors in a few months. They might be a little out of your price range, but this may good because it may drop the price on some of the current expensive processors.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:24 PM

Don't forget, Intel is suppose to be releasing the new Nehalem processors in a few months. They might be a little out of your price range, but this may good because it may drop the price on some of the current expensive processors.

Price cuts on CPU's not only benefit Intel. AMD often follows suit. I hope AMD has better Phenom (or something similar) processors coming down the pipeline.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users