Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Birdy3_uk

Birdy3_uk

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 04:40 PM

Sorry to keep posting but I dont think people are really into my last post. So im making it more specific here.

I have brought a laptop without internet wireless connectivity, although it has a pci card slot or whatever.

I also have a standalone Desktop pc with internet access via a usb modem.

Is there a usb device I can plug into my desktop pc which will allow me to share the internet connection it has wirelssly with my laptop, it must be usb or similar because I am moving soon and dont know what the modem the people I am moving in with is like.

I understand i need one of those cards for my laptop, But am unsure which one and am also unsure if there are any products suitable that I can use for my desktop pc.

Hope that makes sense. Tx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:44 PM

Birdy

It doesn't really help speed up any answer you may get by posting another topic with the same problem, it just creates more clutter.

Here's my (limited) understanding of your options:

1. You connect your PC to the broadband modem via USB, as is, and use Internet Connection Sharing to share that connection to your laptop via a network. Whether the network is wireless or a cable doesn't make any difference. You can only connect the laptop if the desktop is connected.

2. If your broadband modem has a network port you connect it to a wireless router then add wireless cards to both your laptop and your PC. They connect independently.

Laptop PCMCIA wireless cards - get the same brand as the wireless router you choose.
USB to wireless - they probably exist but I've never used one.

Will it all work in the new location? That depends on what type of broadband modem they have there.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users