Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pictures In The 'my Pictures' Folder Cannot Be Opened

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Compton Gomes-Lozier

Compton Gomes-Lozier

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:45 AM

Hi Guys,
I have a problem that I have not encountered before. For some unaccountable reason, I cannot open any picture in the 'My Pictures' folder.Whenever I attempt to open a picture I get an error message that says: File C:/Documents and Settings/User/My Documents/My Pictures/ could not be opened.Initially, I thought that it might have been a virus, but scans by AVG have turned up nothing.
I have no idea how to solve this problem.

Please help.

With Thanks.

Compton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:10 PM

Hello Compton,

This could be down to a number of reasons. Are you logged on the system with an account that has administrative access?

The event viewer may give some more information.

1. Click Start select run
2. Type eventvwr.exe
3. Press enter
4. Search through the groups for errors and warnings.
5. Double click on each error and or warning.
6. Locate the copy to clipboard button, Posted Image (under the two arrows)
7. Let us know what you find. (paste the results)
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Compton Gomes-Lozier

Compton Gomes-Lozier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:31 PM

Thanks Alan, I did as you suggested but I cannot understand the information thrown up.
I am sending an attachment with this email which contains the four types of messages I keep getting. See if you can make sense of it and let me know, I would appreciate it very much.

With thanks.

Compton

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:43 AM

3 of the errors are fairly normal and are frequently seen on well-functioning systems. The Disk error is a concern tho'.

Because it's a disk error, the very first thing to do is to backup anything you can't afford to lose. If the disk is dying you may only have a limited amount of time to recover that stuff.

Once that's done, try running a diagnostic utility available from the manufacturer of your hard drive. A list of the more common manufacturers is located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

If the drive passes the diagnostic, go to Start...Run...and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter. In the black window that opens up, type "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter. The system will tell you it can't do it right now, and will ask if you'd like to do it on the next reboot. Answer Y (for yes) and press Enter - then reboot the system and let the chkdsk /r run until it finishes.

If this doesn't isolate the problem, then post back and we'll suggest some more diagnostics. I'm wondering about running a memory diagnostic and rebuilding your pagefile next - as the Disk error happened during a paging operation
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users