Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dial Up Connection Won't Work

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

I have been working on two computers each with a different Internet provider that are exhibiting the same problem. There is a direct line from the wall outlet to the computer and both computers modems, when queried, show that they have proper protocol and should function. If I put a telephone on the end of the telephone line coming from the wall jack, I am able to get a signal that works on both.

Both of these machines are running Windows XP Home. One provider is Earthlink and the other is Shawneelink.

The problem is that whenever I try to go on line I get a message that says there is no dial tone.

Has anyone had this problem and, if so, how did you correct it. One of the clients has been able to connect in the past but it has been over two months since they have.

The other moved into a new house and have not been able to get on line yet.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:11 AM

Have you tried calling the phone company's repair service to check the lines out?

You can also call the ISPs and have them check it out from their end.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:30 AM

I had a similar Problem, it turned out that the actual Phone was Faulty, that was throwing Dial Up off the Line, even though the Phone worked perfectly for Calls in or out.

As said get the ISP to check out the Line, and also the Phone Company. Dial Up and Phones work hand in glove, only way it can work.

BTW, ADSL and ADSL2+ work similar, they just use higher frequences on your Phone Line to access the Net! Yet your Phone is on a seperate frequency, so you can use the Phone and the Net at the same time.

But if there is a Problem in the Line or any thing connected to the Phone Line there will be Problems!

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 08 September 2008 - 04:03 AM.

#4 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:56 AM

Client also has a laptop that is using the same dial up at their residence. Using the same connection from the wall jack, line, into the laptop, the computer is able to go online.

I've quieried the modem and it shows that it is working!! Any other ideas. Thanks for all your input.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:10 AM

A start: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326681

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users