Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"bad Image Checksum" - Version.dll Possibly Corrupt

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 KingMetalx

KingMetalx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:38 PM

Hey folks :thumbsup:

I have a Dell Dimension 4550 and it is probably 5 years old. It's been having problems lately, but it has been working. I got on it today to see if any of my torrents had finished downloading and found out that one had. So, I right clicked it and tried to do a virus check; nothing happened and it went to hourglass. I got impatient and tried to shutdown, but it wouldn't do anything. So, I unplugged it from the wall and tried to reboot it. After the Windows XP logo went away, the computer made a sound like it was shutting off again, and a blue screen came up that reads as follows:

"STOP: c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}
The image version.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum."

After trying to reboot it a few more times and failing and cursing a lot, I decided I might as well do a reformat since it's been awhile and the problem may be a virus. Then I remembered my biggest problem: I have a CD-ROM and a CD-RW, and the CD-ROM stopped working and responding a year ago. I could use the CD-RW to boot my Windows XP disc in, but when I go to the boot sequence menu, it only shows my hard drive, floppy drive, and CD-ROM. So I can't select my CD-RW drive to boot from. The drive works fine, but is not listed there?

I'm not new to computers, but if anyone has any ideas, if you could explain step-by-step what to do, that would be fantastic. I appreciate it everyone :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:47 PM

You might want to download Memtest and check your memory
http://www.memtest.org/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users