Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network constantly losing connection

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 webdesignerken

webdesignerken

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:23 PM

I have a wireless network that is connected to my cable modem. I have two routers to expand the network to my other computer. One of my computers is directly connected to a router, which is directly connected to the modem. Often, I lose my internet connection for as little as 10 sec. to as much as 10 minutes! Usually I don't mind, but when this constantly happens, it gets on my nerves. This also occurs with my other computer connected through wireless. What should I do? My routers are both Dell TrueMobile 2300.

Kenny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:21 PM

Maybe be a cable modem issue. When this happens do you notice any lights out on the cable modem?

#3 webdesignerken

webdesignerken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:54 PM

Everything is fine with the cable modem. I even had it checked by the cable company.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:53 PM

Last person you should trust is the techsupport person for companies like telephones and cable modems. While its working look at your modem and write down the lit lights. Then do the same when its not working and see if there is a difference

#5 Dan G

Dan G

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:01 PM

Last person you should trust is the techsupport person for companies like telephones and cable modems.

So true :thumbsup:
webdesignerken, what operating system do you run? Do you have SP2 installed? When your internet fails, does your router display a 'Limited or no connectivity' message? If it does, then try the following:
1) Download, and run the Microsoft Patch:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&DisplayLang=en
2) Disable Media Sense:
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxMediaSense.htm
3) Download and run the WinSockXP fix:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html
4) Run the following commands:
Start > Run > Cmd > netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt (does the same thing as the WinSockXP fix)
Start > Run > Cmd > netsh winsock reset

You may also wish to set up a Static IP Address, as many people state that this solves their issues. Just remember to restart your computer!

#6 webdesignerken

webdesignerken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 05:07 PM

First, I have SP2, and nothing shows up with connectivity. although If I am on something like AIM, it says I'm not connected. I tried all those things, and the Winsock seemed to work best. It seems to work mildly better for a couple hours and then it seems to wear off... I need to restart and everything works for a while again.

Edited by webdesignerken, 08 May 2005 - 05:09 PM.

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:50 PM

If you downlaod and run hijackthis. Does your log show a O10 entry?

#8 webdesignerken

webdesignerken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:30 PM

nope

#9 webdesignerken

webdesignerken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:05 PM

I just got a new computer and did the same configuration, but there is still a problem

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:48 PM

You just got a new computer and your still having the internet problem? Its most likely then either the cable modem, the cable that goes between your modem and your computer, or the cable connection. Nothing else makes sense

#11 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 16 May 2005 - 12:58 AM

Question. Do you have the same situation if you hook your computer directly to the cable modem with no routers attached? If the problem is no present then, the issue lies with the router or router configuration.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#12 webdesignerken

webdesignerken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:37 PM

no...there is no problem with a direct connection...it must be the router...I do have two routers, and that probably caused the problem...but I don't want to screw anything up...If someone could explain the config for the two routers. that'd be nice.

#13 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:39 PM

Ok, so we know that the connection is not a problem. Now, you said yuo have a wireless router. Why are there 2 routers involved then? 1 router can handle up to 256 connections or more depending on the brand.

Hook the wireless router up to the modem and you should be all set. There is no need for another router.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#14 webdesignerken

webdesignerken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:47 PM

Well It's wireless range isn't very big, and my other computer is connected but it's on the other side of the house on the second floor...so I needed to another to extend the range

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users