Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Shut Downs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kzov

kzov

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:08 PM

Ive built the computer just a little over a year ago (I built the comp sept 6 , 2007)

The darn thing seems to be randomly shutting off. Like someone went behind there and pulled the plug from the psu.

Ive tried :

Taking the parts out, visiually inspecting them.
Usuing canned air, dusting everything off.
Re-seating the heatsink onto the cpu with a fresh coat of thermal grease compound
Taking out one stick of RAM at a time to see if its ram related.
Replacing the psu with a brand new right out of the box 550Watt
replacing the CMOS battery for kicks and giggles

I am at a loss for what to do. It started about a week ago. I left it on for 2 days straight without doing anything ( I went camping and forgot about it) came home that sunday, turned it off, came back monday, and it started doing this. Ive got a third party cooler on the CPU artic cooler 64.

My specs are

DFI Lan-Party UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G Motherboard
Kingston 2gb RAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Foxconn FV-N79SM2D2-OC GeForce 7900GS 256MB PCIE

Just today I tried re-seating everything in there. I took out all of the pieces set the aside, re-dusted, and tried every part indiviudally, everything worked fine, no shut downs.

Everything together and I cant get the screen to pop-up with anything. Also, as far as I can tell, none of the side things seem to work. I cant hear the hdd spinning, the cd rom doesnt work, and as I said before, the screen doesnt come up with anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:47 PM

CPU seems the best guess from me...second-guess would be RAM.

I think that can result in the symptoms you describe.

Perhaps you put new thermal paste on too late...I don't know of a test for the CPU (other than a physical change), but I believe someone here does.

Taking out one stick of RAM at a time...accomplishes nothing in and of itself...if you are running two together or if you have negative results. If the system works with one stick and not another, that's worthwhile...if the system doesn't work with 1 or both sticks in either motherboard socket...you haven't learned anything.

I'd run Memtest on both RAM modules initially...then (when the errors come) run it with each module in the 1st socket, then each module in the 2d socket. That should prove something.

Louis

#3 kzov

kzov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:25 PM

memtest probably would prove something if the the screen would pop up and stay on.

Individually the ram was tested, and there were no shut downs.

All the pieces were tested by themselves and no shut downs

But all together, I cant get the screen to pop up

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:55 AM

From what you stated...you did not test the RAM.

Run Memtest...memtest is not dependent on Windows so your Windows problem has no impact on the running of Memtest.

If you choose not to run it, that's your option.

Louis

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

What do you mean by all together, have you tried getting the computer to post, with just the memory, cpu, video? If the computer post add in your OS HDD. There still could be a problem with the power supply being insufficient. What are the voltage ratings of your new power supply? Lastly there could be a problem with the motherboard not supplying enough voltage to properly run all the components. A voltage regulator or capacitor may have gone bad.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users