Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Download Programs, Change Security Settings, Uninstall Programs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mariannjackson

Mariannjackson

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:00 PM

Suddenly I am unable to download programs, change security settings in McAfee, unistall software without being signed on as an administrator. I have been able to do all these things in the past with no problem. I recently went through the whole Hijack This Malware thing and downloaded a ton of stuff with no problem. I wonder if the final ComboFix made changes that are causing this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:06 PM

Hello Mariannjackson,

Does the account you are using have administrative rights?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Mariannjackson

Mariannjackson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:12 PM

Apparently not. This was my husband's work computer and was tied to a network. I have never had these issues until recently, and we have had the computer for over a year. The computer is set up with a domain, which I know nothing about.

Edited by garmanma, 08 September 2008 - 02:45 PM.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:11 PM

I would first look in the control panel for user accounts. Open User accounts and look for your account, does it say what type of account you have ie limited or computer administrator?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Mariannjackson

Mariannjackson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:08 PM

There are no user accounts set up in the control panel other than the administrator account set up by Windows XP. This computer was previously a work computer which we bought from the company. It requires a username and password to sign on to the system. I have another computer that has 4 user accounts, so I am familar with those and how they work.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:13 AM

It sounds to me as if you should have done a clean install or even a repair install...of the O/S, once you purchased it.

Then you would have had the proper user accounts, permissions, etc. established.

I think I'd try a repair install, setting it up as a PC for personal use which is not linked to any domain. Takes about 35 minutes for the repair, maybe another hour for updates which require reinstall.

Louis

#7 Mariannjackson

Mariannjackson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:34 AM

Yes, I'm sure you are correct. It didn't occur to me at the time, as I was able to download and make changes in the past. I still do not understand why this just started happening.

Mariann

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:57 AM

Who knows? Possible corrupted file, triggering more changes than either of us can consider :thumbsup:.

Let's see if others can come up with some different ideas of how to handle this.

Louis

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:04 PM

I would try the System File Checker, it may be able to help. http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

1. Click Start
2. Then run.
3. Type sfc /scannow
4. Press enter.
5. Follow the prompts

The SFC works by checking Windows system files and replacing the damaged files.
Regards,

Alan.

#10 Mariannjackson

Mariannjackson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:04 PM

I tried to do the System File Checker, and nothing happened. When I go to Start, Run, sfc /scannow, enter, a black screen flashes and the run box closes.

Mariann

#11 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:17 AM

Try running it from the command prompt, start=>run=>cmd
Regards,

Alan.

#12 imatechie

imatechie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:59 PM

It's also possible that the company never officially removed the computer from its domain, to check it out, right click My Computer, select properties, then click the Computer Name Tab, look at the text and see if it says something about Un-Joining or removing from a domain. If it does, there is the problem and you would have to follow the advice posted previously.

Explanation: Domain policy objects can be configured for computers joined to a domain that will enable them to log on to their computer a certain number of times without officially being connected to the company network. Once the system is back on the company net, this counter should reset.

Another thing you can try is if you get the Welcome Screen, hit Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to bring the regular log on screen, see if there is an extra line, with an arrow there, click on it and you would have some options, Local Computer, or domain.

It's just an idea.

JB
The only real problem that I have with being an I.T. Tech is that I can't use the excuse:
"Sorry, I don't do windows."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users