Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spysweeper

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 missmuffit

missmuffit

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 24 April 2004 - 11:20 AM

A couple of Computer magazines rates SpySweeper highly. Could you please put up a Tutorial for SpySweeper? Thanks from missmufit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 25 April 2004 - 12:57 PM

Personally I use Spybot Search & Destroy. Haven't tried Spysweep but some of the ones that also sell will only tell you that problems exist but will not clean them out unless you buy their product. Spybot and Spyware Blaster are totallly free.

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,636 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2004 - 06:02 PM

Bluie, Spy Sweeper is one of the few commercial antispywares available that is legit. I don't run it but I've heard it is probably even better than Spybot and Adaware.

They offer a fully functional 30 day trial & are up front about it being a trial--they don't try to deceive you, as many others do, into thinking that downloading their "free scanner" is going to fix the the spyware on your system. Spy Sweeper's free trial will scan AND fix, but it has to be paid for after the trial runs out for it to fix anything.

They do have a free Spy Audit but they let you know up front that it won't fix anything, just lets you know what's there.

And they don't practice FUD or scare tactics to get people to buy. Still, Spybot & AdAware are completely free (you can donate to the cause if you want) and are adequate for most people.

BTW, Webroot, the software company that makes Spy Sweeper, has made a deal with Earthlink. If you install Earthlink's Total Access 2004 software, you get some version of Spy Sweeper for free. I'm still running TA 2003 but am tempted to upgrade just to see how well Spy Sweeper works.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#4 missfilippa

missfilippa

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2004 - 03:11 PM

I ask abt Spysweeper bec. I find SpyBot Advanced extremely complicated. I would like an alternative. I use AdAware = good but, if a tutorial could be created for Spysweeper it might be a big success...
from missmuffit = I opened this thread.... thanks.....

#5 maxnik

maxnik

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 24 July 2004 - 02:56 PM

I've been using Spy sweeper without updates, since my trial period is over. I like the program. It was able to find spyware leftover after i ran Spybot S & D and Ad Aware 6.0
I'm actually considering subscribing for a year it's $29.99. I think if you want something decent besides Spybot and Ad Aware - Spysweeper is a good candidate.
[size=1][color=#FF0000]An easy way for the blind to go, A clever path for the fools who know. The Secret...

#6 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 July 2004 - 06:12 PM

Yes spysweeper will find alot more than adaware and spybot. But it will somtimes find c-dilla but I think it advises you not to delete. C-dilla is installed by games for copyright protection and if it is deleted your games wont work and will somtimes disable your cd/dvd drives

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2004 - 06:37 PM

Well I sent them a letter asking for a license in order to create a tutorial around it. Hopefully they will send one over.

Or is the trial the exact same thing , including doing updates and everything, and the licensed version?

#8 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 July 2004 - 06:41 PM

the trial you get one update for your spyware fingerprint's and its only for thirty day's.

#9 Shibby

Shibby

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2004 - 02:21 AM

I love Spysweeper. I highly recommend it. I have used S&D/ Adaware, and by far spysweeper is the best.

#10 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:11 PM

I've been using Spysweeper for 2 years now. It's a very good program. I run Ad-aware and Spybot S&D still but Spysweeper is definitely better. Here's what I run.
Spybot
Ad-Aware
SUPERantispyware(manually or free edition)
Spysweeper
My Norton Interenet Security also has a spyware application.
HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

#11 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:57 PM

I just use SpySweeper, SpywareBlaster, and NIS 2007. Those protect me. :D
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#12 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:22 PM

Of all the automated antispyware programs I've tried (most of which have been free like Adaware, Spybot S&D, Windows Defender, or the built-in stuff like Norton AV/IS), Spysweeper has given me the best detection and automated removal results.

I don't care much for it as a persistent program in the systray, in its past versions it was very very fussy about any programs you installed or changes you made to IE, though that seems better now in version 5. Still, I don't think I've run into a malware infection that I couldn't get rid of by running this as a standard sweep or booted into safemode.
If I could figure out how to get it to run in Bart's PE, I could run it and Clamwin from a boot CD and achieve nirvana in easy-peasy malware removal.
Posted Image

#13 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:49 PM

Folks,
If you need to renew your Spy Sweeper subscription, go to their homepage (www.webroot.com) and click on the Kim Komando listeners link. You can buy 2 years for the price of 1 ($29.99!).

--Jesse
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#14 baker1

baker1

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:18 PM

Spysweeper is an above average anti-spyware software application from webroot.com.If there is a cause to such as these various anti-spyware applications are concerned it would be that there be a lesson to learn as much as any detection might teach.The lesson is in perhaps more than not and it is as you are asking how to properly deploy Spysweeper and how best to use its scanning capability.Perhaps the most advantagous position the spysweeper can provide is one that would not be readily apparent and of all places I would recommend enabling Spysweeper to boot up with the OS and to remain on the Start Menu with every one of its shields enabled.I think at present there are 11 shields that are enabled.This is a position that if nothing else in perhaps a mere day or two while all the while browsing the concourse with all the nice shops,that is surfing the net click on Spysweeper.There are panels available which will not only indicate just how many attempts your computer was shielded from by Spysweepers shields but you will also be able to identify the quality of the detection.It will surprise you I kid you not because you may not believe it,however the number of detections that Spysweepers shields will protect your computer from will number into the thousands.That is number one place the Spysweeper on the start menu.The Spysweeper does and can be updated more than once over the life of your subscription with here being a reminder to check your updating with not only programming updates but signature updates as well.They can come often and you should be well advised to check every time you use the spysweeper.They have a great additional updating feature which allows for the programs user to be made aware of developments in the world of Malware crusaders and Webroot.It tells you what is going on.Spysweeper is very much for real and they at Webroot take it seriously.I found that Spysweeper has an easy to use interface which makes the configuration process and its use friendlier than the former Spysubtract Pro which today belongs to Trend-Micro as Anti-Spyware 3.0.I think Spysweeper is an excellent choice and will become you rather easily.There is much to communicate however a careful even prudent approach though helpful is not always so necessary because spysweeper was designed that well.Though some updates may get stuck it gets unstuck rather essily.I would not fret about spysweeper it is that good a purchase.

#15 guncptn

guncptn

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:19 AM

Have had a hard copy of SpySweeper Ver 5.5.1 (tho' just checked my updates & there's a ver 5.5.7 out now) for a few weeks now & after running my first scan, in which it found some nasties & got rid of them, it hasn't found any new ones. I run it about every other day. Aside from setting up it's own priorieties, upon installation (thank goodness, as I find all these software programs designed to defend us from the bad guys as really un-user friendly for the simple reason that the average guy really can't set up his own priorieties with out having a degree in computer science - my personal opinion) so I just let it run with the settings it installed itself with (all near paranoid). It has, nowadays 13 shields with the option of 2 others (higher model) that just about cover everything, I , as just a "user" needs. so far it has blocked over 4,000 attempts & removed 21 serious threats. Says I'm covered for over 183,192 known enemies & I haven't even touched it but just to do my routine scans. But what I've been reading, this is about as best as we individual consumers can get. ce le vi... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users