Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Takes 5 Minutes To Boot Up With 2.8ghz - Why?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 helpcook

helpcook

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:50 PM

I have a laptop Sony Pentium 4 with 2.8GHz. It takes at least 5 minutes to boot up. Any ideas why? I read some of the other forums before making this post. I do know I don't have a lot of free space on my C drive. Could this be the problem? If so, how do I transfer some of my files or applications to D drive.

Also, this computer came with 512 MB DDR SDRAM. I took it to Circuity City and had them take the two 256K chips out and replace them with two 512k chips but I wonder if they did it right. How do I check to see how much memory I have?

Thanks,

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:31 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

My guess would be...drivers and startup items.

You (and the rest of us) probably have drivers loading which should have been previously removed. You can read this link to find out how to deal with that, Remove Unused Drivers and Devices - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...andDevices.html

As for startups, try using the Logon tab of AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx to remove or disable unwanted/unnecessary items.

Louis

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:15 PM

If you have a mapped network drive that is no longer available it can cause a slow startup.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:28 PM

To check ram amount, right click on my computer/select properties. Under the general tab toward the bottom, you will see reported amount of ram.

I know everyones setup is different, but for me, I clear out everything in msconfigs startup tab. If you are needing or missing something, you can always go back and turn it on again. This is the biggest cause for boot slowdown. The biggest culprits are AOL and antivirus programs (both of which I don't use). My PC boots very fast. I use whole drive imaging as a back-up system, so I don't care much if I personally get a virus. The anti-virus programs and AOL also run various services (another tab in msconfig) which slow things down considerably.

It all depends on what is important to you. Speed and full resource power are very important to me.

I had a client on friday that had a disconnected mapped drive interfering with their power point show, and it was very slow to start, but they wouldn't let me disable the drive.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 07 September 2008 - 04:30 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#5 helpcook

helpcook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:52 PM

my computer shows 512 or ram. assuming i have 1024 how do i get my laptop to recognize it? Thanks, David

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:34 AM

If your BIOS and Windows say that you have 512...and you think you you have more...I'd suggest removing one module, then booting and checking both the BIOS and Windows.

Then add the other, same routine.

Then, if you still think you have more RAM...I'd run Memtest with both modules installed. 1 complete pass (takes about 2 hours 35 minutes on this machine).

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 September 2008 - 09:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users