Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jan George Frajkor

Jan George Frajkor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:37 AM

Like Isuppose many others of you, I have installed OpenOffice and other free open source software to cut costs. However, the latest downloaded version of OpenOffice, v 2.4.1, refuses to iinstall on my computer because it says the installer is either wrong or corrupt. I presume it means the Windows installer.
I use XP Pro (OEM version) with service pack 2. The computer is a laptop, Toshiba Portege 3110ct. Yes, it is an old computer but previous versions of Open Office always worked fine and luckily the failed installation did not remove my working version.
Now I thought it was only my problem but my son, who uses an IBM Thinkpad, Windows 2000, got exactly the same problem. Two different OS, two different computers.
Is there something Microsoft is now doing to prevent open-source installations? Or am I just paranoid?
Incidentally, I was advised xp service pack 3 was downloaded to my computer. I ordered it installed. The computer spent all night being slow as hell and the installation failed and I had to cancel it. Anyone else with these problems?

(Yes, I am seeking advice from OpenOffice fora discussions as well and if I get replies, will cross-post here)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:55 AM

Well...did you try updating or replacing the installer? The version installed could be corrupt.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

There's a newer version for XP SP3, http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/wininstallnt.html

Louis

#3 starfireone

starfireone

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:56 AM

It sounds like your MS Windows Installer program is corrupted. This happen to me one time.
You might want to take a look at MS Windows Clean up program. This link explains it some more.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/MSICLEAN.htm

Thanks
Starfireone

www.nickscomputerfix.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users