Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connections

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Doogless

Doogless

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:21 AM

I'm in the process of building a team of 4 wheel drive trucks for extreme off road trails to test alternative fuels. I am looking to install a computer with a direct Internet link in order to communicate with a base office for navigation and for technical information while in remote locations of the Rockies. It is very important to be able to communicate with this base office for immediate information. What I am in need of is a Internet service and possible ideas on how to make this happen. I know emergency services have something similar to this concept I need to find out how to make this accessible to me and my team I am open to any ideas that might be out there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:39 PM

I assume that you will be outside of cellphone range during this time. Although it is very costly, you can use a satelite phone that is connected to a notebook computer with a dial-up modem. Obviously the speed is not fast at all, but it will work.

If you were going to be within cellphone range, many cellphone companies offer air cards that can be plugged into a notebook computer and offer faster speeds than dial-up.

#3 Doogless

Doogless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:20 AM

Some areas will be able to pick up cell phone towers but some others may not Ill probably have to climb a mountian to get to an open area to get a signal. Is there a way possibly to run a direct satalite modem to my laptop in my truck such as RV's do when they are over the road?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users