Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Computer Infected?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 unerring

unerring

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:46 AM

Hi,
My msconfig window is showing extra services, known windows services are showing duplicate names. my computer was infected with winctrl32.dll but I had run ComboFix which deleted those files, but I still see these extra services, is my computer still infected?

regards,
Amogh.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:03 PM

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

#3 unerring

unerring
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:05 PM

Hi Superbird,
Thanks for your reply.
here is the MBAM log

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.27
Database version: 1130
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

9/8/2008 11:34:04 PM
mbam-log-2008-09-08 (23-34-04).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 41752
Time elapsed: 1 minute(s), 25 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TrkWksUPS (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:17 AM

Seems clean again. :thumbsup: To be sure do this:

Please use the Internet Explorer browser (or FireFox with IETab), and do an online scan with Kaspersky Online Scanner

Note: If you have used this particular scanner before, you MAY HAVE TO UNINSTALL the program through Add/Remove Programs before downloading the new ActiveX component

Click Yes, when prompted to install its ActiveX component.
(Note.. for Internet Explorer 7 users: If at any time you have trouble with the "Accept" button of the license, click on the "Zoom" tool located at the bottom right of the IE window and set the zoom to 75 %. Once the license has been accepted, reset to 100%.)
The program launches and downloads the latest definition files.
  • Once the files are downloaded click on Next
  • Click on Scan Settings and configure as follows:
    • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
      • Extended
    • Scan Options:Scan Archives
      Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK and, under select a target to scan, select My Computer
When the scan is done, in the Scan is completed window (below), any infection is displayed.
There is no option to clean/disinfect, however, we need to analyze the information on the report.
Posted Image
Posted Image
To obtain the report:
Click on: Save Report As (above - red blinking arrow)
Next, in the Save as prompt, Save in area, select: Desktop
In the File name area, use KScan, or something similar
In Save as type, click the drop arrow and select: Text file [*.txt]
Then, click: Save
Please post the Kaspersky Online Scanner Report in your reply.

#5 unerring

unerring
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

hi Superbird,

Sorry for the late reply
here is the scan report.

regards,
Amogh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER 7 REPORT
Friday, September 12, 2008
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Kaspersky Online Scanner 7 version: 7.0.25.0
Program database last update: Thursday, September 11, 2008 16:02:18
Records in database: 1213098
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan settings:
Scan using the following database: extended
Scan archives: yes
Scan mail databases: yes

Scan area - My Computer:
A:\
C:\
D:\
E:\
F:\

Scan statistics:
Files scanned: 48917
Threat name: 2
Infected objects: 3
Suspicious objects: 0
Duration of the scan: 00:59:18

File name / Threat name / Threats count
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE/C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE Infected: Trojan.Win32.Patched.cx 1
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\625.exe Infected: Trojan.Win32.Obfuscated.gx 1
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe Infected: Trojan.Win32.Patched.cx 1

The selected area was scanned.

#6 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:23 AM

Download this file to your Desktop: http://downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
Start the setup_.exe-file and click "Next".
The tool will be unzipped now to his own folder on the Desktop, confirm this by pressing "Next" again.
Now, click "Scan" to start the quick scan.
When it's finished, the found malware will be showed to you, press "Delete".
Now click the button "Reports" in the main screen and save the logfile to your Desktop.
Post this logfile in your next reply
After that you'll get this message: "Do you want to uninstall?", choose "Yes".
The tool will be deleted then.

#7 unerring

unerring
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:18 PM

Hi Superbird,
Thanks for your reply.
here is the log file, but I m only printing partly cause its a 116 Mb file.

regards,
Amogh

Scan
----
Scanned: 757608
Detected: 8
Untreated: 0
Start time: 9/12/2008 10:52:57 PM
Duration: 01:44:29
Finish time: 9/13/2008 12:37:26 AM

Detected
--------
Status Object
------ ------
will be disinfected when the computer is restarted: Trojan program Trojan.Win32.Patched.cx File: c:\windows\explorer.exe
deleted: Trojan program Trojan.Win32.Obfuscated.gx File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\625.exe
deleted: Trojan program Trojan.Win32.Obfuscated.gx File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\171.exe//PE_Patch//MewBundle//MEW//#
deleted: Trojan program Trojan-Dropper.MSOffice.Agent.k File: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine\7d8817c5303990.bup
deleted: Trojan program Trojan-Dropper.MSOffice.Agent.k File: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine\7d8817d2352320.bup
deleted: Trojan program Trojan-Dropper.MSOffice.Agent.k File: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine\7d881d1326534b0.bup
deleted: Trojan program Trojan.Win32.Obfuscated.gx File: C:\System Volume Information\_restore{585D6686-1EAE-449E-AC27-9E1AEBD022ED}\RP4\A0002283.exe
deleted: Trojan program Trojan.Win32.Obfuscated.gx File: C:\System Volume Information\_restore{585D6686-1EAE-449E-AC27-9E1AEBD022ED}\RP4\A0002284.exe//PE_Patch//MewBundle//MEW//#

Events
------
Time Name Status Reason
---- ---- ------ ------
9/12/2008 10:53:04 PM File: c:\windows\system32\mmdrv.dll ok scanned
9/12/2008 10:53:04 PM File: c:\windows\system\timer.drv ok scanned
9/12/2008 10:53:04 PM File: c:\windows\system32\mshta.exe ok scanned
9/12/2008 10:53:05 PM File: c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe ok scanned
9/12/2008 10:53:05 PM File: c:\windows\regedit.exe ok scanned
9/12/2008 10:53:09 PM File: c:\program files\microsoft office\office10\msaccess.exe ok scanned
9/12/2008 10:53:14 PM File: c:\windows\system32\accwiz.exe ok scanned
9/12/2008 10:53:14 PM File: c:\program files\windows media player\wmplayer.exe ok scanned
9/12/2008 10:53:15 PM File: c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe ok scanned
9/12/2008 10:53:15 PM File: c:\windows\system32\cryptext.dll ok scanned
9/12/2008 10:53:15 PM File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe ok scanned
9/12/2008 10:53:15 PM File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cryptext.dll ok scanned
9/12/2008 10:53:15 PM File: c:\program files\outlook express\wab.exe ok scanned
9/12/2008 10:53:15 PM File: c:\windows\explorer.exe detected Trojan program 'Trojan.Win32.Patched.cx'
9/12/2008 10:53:15 PM File: c:\windows\explorer.exe not disinfected postponed
9/13/2008 12:36:36 AM File: c:\windows\explorer.exe detected Trojan program 'Trojan.Win32.Patched.cx'
9/13/2008 12:37:08 AM File: c:\windows\explorer.exe backed up
9/13/2008 12:37:08 AM File: c:\windows\explorer.exe detected Trojan program 'Trojan.Win32.Patched.cx'
9/13/2008 12:37:08 AM File: c:\windows\explorer.exe disinfected Trojan program 'Trojan.Win32.Patched.cx'
9/13/2008 12:37:09 AM File: c:\windows\explorer.exe will be disinfected on system restart
9/13/2008 12:37:09 AM File: c:\windows\system32\drivers\625.exe detected Trojan program 'Trojan.Win32.Obfuscated.gx'
9/13/2008 12:37:18 AM File: c:\windows\system32\drivers\625.exe backed up
9/13/2008 12:37:18 AM File: c:\windows\system32\drivers\625.exe not disinfected cannot be disinfected
9/13/2008 12:37:26 AM File: skipped processing stopped

Statistics
----------
Object Scanned Detected Untreated Deleted Moved to Quarantine Archives Packed files Password protected Corrupted
------ ------- -------- --------- ------- ------------------- -------- ------------ ------------------ ---------

Settings
--------
Parameter Value
--------- -----
Security Level Recommended
Action Prompt for action when the scan is complete
Run mode Manually
File types Scan all files
Scan only new and changed files No
Scan archives All
Scan embedded OLE objects All
Skip if object is larger than No
Skip if scan takes longer than No
Parse email formats No
Scan password-protected archives No
Enable iChecker technology No
Enable iSwift technology No
Show detected threats on "Detected" tab Yes
Rootkits search Yes
Deep rootkits search No
Use heuristic analyzer Yes

Quarantine
----------
Status Object Size Added
------ ------ ---- -----

Backup
------
Status Object Size
------ ------ ----
Infected: Trojan program Trojan.Win32.Patched.cx c:\windows\explorer.exe 1011.5 KB
Infected: Trojan program Trojan.Win32.Obfuscated.gx c:\windows\system32\drivers\625.exe 64 KB

#8 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:20 PM

Seems to be clean again. :thumbsup:
Do you still have problems? :flowers:

#9 unerring

unerring
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:06 AM

:thumbsup: Well I do not have any problems, but I can still see extra services, I do not know if it is a virus or a malware, or if my system is clean....

#10 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:17 AM

Which services are you talking about precisely?

#11 unerring

unerring
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:12 AM

Eg
Application Layer Gateway Service ----valid service
Path to executable-C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe

Application Layer Gateway Service ALGsrserviceNetDDEdsdm -----invalid
Path to executable-%|x srv

Application Layer Gateway Service ALGsrserviceNetDDEdsdm ALGsrserviceNetDDEdsdmAudioSrv-----invalid
Path to executable-%|x srv

there are many such services, I dont know, if my PC is infected or not, but I think that these extra services should not be there, am I right?

regards,
Amogh.

#12 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:47 AM

Those are normal services, nothing wrong with it... Everything has been cleaned, and your pc hasn't any infections left.

Do this:

1. Now you should Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete these bad files which sometimes can reinfect your system. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "OK".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.
2. Go to the Windows update site and download and install all available updates, so your computer is prtected against malware.

3. Read this page To prevent yourself against re-infection.

You can delete all used tools and programs.

#13 teri2

teri2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:10 PM

Hi,

What if there is no "note pad" log? I downloaded the MBAM and went through the steps you posted. I was wondering if there is supposed to be a notepad or not. Curious... :thumbsup:

#14 teri2

teri2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:11 PM

Hi Superbird!

I applied the MBAM and this is what I got on notepad. Is this okay? What does this mean? I'm here. :flowers: :thumbsup: I'm okay with not knowing what this is, but then I'm baffled at how this affects my computer and how it's holding up my schoolwork. I'm a full time college student and a full time "employee" for the govt. Thank you for your time and patience!

teri2

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.28
Database version: 1145
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

9/13/2008 2:07:33 PM
mbam-log-2008-09-13 (14-07-33).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 65689
Time elapsed: 14 minute(s), 3 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 11
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\WinAntispyware2008 (Rogue.WinAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\WinAntispyware2008\data (Rogue.WinAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\WinAntispyware2008\Microsoft.VC80.CRT (Rogue.WinAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\YourSiteBar (Adware.ISTBar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\MySearch (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\MySearch\bar (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\MySearch\bar\1.bin (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\MySearch\bar\Cache (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\MySearch\bar\History (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\MySearch\bar\Settings (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NICOLES\Start Menu\Programs\WinAntispyware2008 (Rogue.WinAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:

#15 unerring

unerring
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:31 PM

Well hope, for my sakethat :thumbsup: you are right superbird,
Thanks for your help