Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Tried To Use Slave Drive Now Computer Wont Turn On!?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 emopants92

emopants92

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:07 AM

ok I was trying to format a hard drive from older computer, and had numours problems so I decied to use the hard drive as a slave on another computer and format it that way, BUT i followed the pin instructions to make it a slave, and on my other computer it didnt have instructions for the pins to be master, slave, ect. So I figured it was correct. I went to use the slave drive on the computer plug everything up and started up and got a blue screen of death, so i figured it was due to the slave drive so I unplugged it and used just my main hard drive and now the computer just gets the blue screen of death everytime I start, but can start in safe mode. So how do I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:13 AM

What does the error message say?

You could try running System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 emopants92

emopants92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:59 PM

Ok I tried to get into system restore, but now my computer wont start up even in safe mode it gets to the line:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\agpcpq.sys

ALSO this is the entire error message I get in a blue screen with white lettering:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you have seen this error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appeaers again, follow these instructions:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufunctoner for driver updates. Try changing the video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching and shadwoing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable compents, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced start up options, then select safe mode.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0x00000000, 0xF7A92OCO, 0xF7A91DBC)

#4 emopants92

emopants92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:08 AM

OK I got the computer to start in safe mode and system restore did not fix the problem so I found out that I have a problem with my PnP BIOS Extension, its giving me an error in device manager and I believe something happend to it and it needs to be updated. So anyone help me on updating it because I dont know how to find the driver for it to load onto the computer. I have a Dell insperon 300 desktop computer. any help would be great.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:32 AM

Ok I tried to get into system restore, but now my computer wont start up even in safe mode it gets to the line:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\agpcpq.sys

ALSO this is the entire error message I get in a blue screen with white lettering:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you have seen this error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appeaers again, follow these instructions:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufunctoner for driver updates. Try changing the video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching and shadwoing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable compents, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced start up options, then select safe mode.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0x00000000, 0xF7A92OCO, 0xF7A91DBC)

You may want to look here: *** STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0x00000000, 0xF7A92OCO, 0xF7A91DBC) for information on how to fix this.

#6 emopants92

emopants92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:10 PM

Yes I had found that link already and I believe I need to reinstall the pnp bios extension. The only problem is when I try and update it at the dell site, the update they have isnt working I get the error of stating that there was an error while trying to configure windows to flash( may be due that I am running in safe mode, but my computer will only run in safe mode!). NOTE my computer is a dell dimension 3000 sorry I thought I was right the first time. Any help on how to update this driver or reinstall it would be great.

This is the error I get in device manager "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)"

Edited by emopants92, 09 September 2008 - 08:39 PM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:50 PM

System Restore CD time maybe?

#8 emopants92

emopants92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:58 PM

do you mean a new install? because I have my recovery cd and drivers cd ( i tired resetting the drivers and it didnt work)

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:03 PM

Youll have to reinstall Windows if you are unable to install any drivers.

#10 emopants92

emopants92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:11 PM

its there under device manager, but has the yellow question mark next to it?

#11 emopants92

emopants92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:59 PM

still looking for help if anyone can please?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:53 AM

I think I'd try the fixboot command, http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-...agpcpq-sys.html

Louis

#13 emopants92

emopants92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:58 AM

I dont know what happend to my recovery disk dell sent me like 2 years ago, anyway you can burn them to cds?

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:27 AM

To download the Recovery Console in .iso form:

All normal Recovery Console procedures can be run from this utility.
Direct download: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

To burn the .iso file onto CD, use a program like Active@ Isoburner, available at http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

Louis

#15 emopants92

emopants92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:55 PM

Hey thanks so much, but when I boot from the cd I get the error

"INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 47872" and it makes me exit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users