Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Loss! Please Help...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bianca882

Bianca882

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:38 PM

Hello,

I am having a major issue with the memory on my computer (laptop), Let me explain:

I got this laptop as a gift, its a hp Pavillion N5270 , It originally ran on Windows Me , and when I got it, it had windows XP already installed, but this computer is a gift and is used, so it had a whole lot of stuff already on it. So I decided that I should wipe it clean and re install everything knew. The person who gave it to me gave me the recovery cd and the Windows XP edition cd, so I did all that. Well, Before I did that the computer had Almost 18 GB of memory, NOW after I cleaned it all up, it only has 7.33 GB!!! I have no idea how that happened and I would greatly appreciate some help! PLEASE! 7.33 little GBs are nothing when your running XP and firefox and all that... I only have 2 gb (out of the 7) of free space left and thats only because I havn't dl all the other things that the computer needs to run smoothly... (realplayer, adobe ect)

I should also add that I am not that great with computers, I mean I can get along but please give it to me a simply as possible lol! I thank you all in advance so much!

Anticipating an answer soon!
Bianca

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:48 PM

Bianca - does the hard drive have multiple partitions?

Right+Click 'My Computer" > Manage > Disk Management. What does it show there? Are there multiple drive letters?
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

#3 Bianca882

Bianca882
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:56 PM

WOW ok there are two things there on says Fat Healthy (EISA configuration) the other Fat32 Healthy (system)... the EISA one is the old one I think, and it has 8 gb capacity and the other is the new one im guessing and it has 7.34 capacity! Wow... now how do I fix that ?! LOL

#4 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:02 PM

Ok - sounds like there were 2 partitions when you installed XP and you did not use them both (aka delete them both, then create 1) when you reinstalled. I would reinstall again but read instructions here first : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941.

For specifics on partitioning and formatting with this install see here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348/ - and format as NTFS instead of FAT.

Let me know if you have questions after reading.

Edited by dbough, 06 September 2008 - 09:04 PM.

Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

#5 Bianca882

Bianca882
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:13 PM

OK.... Oh My! What are partitions? And do I have to re do it all over again, or is there a way to do this with out having to redo all that!?

The other thing is that I remember when it asked me if its ok to continue because it going to erase everything and i said ok, So I dont understand why this happened, I am 99% sure I followed the instructions correctly the first time... but anyways... please if there is another way let me know, i dont really fee like wasting another 3-5 hours to redo all of this.!
Thanx!

#6 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:20 PM

Partitions are logical separations of 1 physical hard drive. That is why you see 2 when, in actuality, there is only 1 drive.

Your other options are to A. Leave 2nd partition in tact and begin installing programs there instead of the main partition, or B. use a piece of software that will combine the two partitions in windows (like Partition Magic: http://www.symantec.com/norton/partitionmagic.)

Personally, (since this is a new install, and you don't have much if any information on it), I would start over and do things 'right'. You will save yourself headaches down the road.

Good Luck Bianca :thumbsup:

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

#7 Bianca882

Bianca882
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:23 PM

OK Thank you SOOOOO Much!

I just hope I can reinstall XP correctly this time then! Yikes!

THANK YOU!,
Bianca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users