Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help, weird things (to me anyway)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 camillabanks

camillabanks

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:26 PM

Hi! I'm having a strange problem, well 2 actually.
My system restore keeps turning off, I never touched it, And I keep getting a message that a new device driver didn't install properly, but have not installed any.
I just don't know what to do. I've run spy-ware, virus, etc. and nothing shows up.
Thank you so much for any help.
Camilla

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 virusX

virusX

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:35 PM

Hello Kamilla.... first of all WELCOME TO BC!!! :thumbsup: .Could you point out the problems... better
like what comes up. Does your system make any sounds when those messages come up etc etc

That would help us :flowers: :trumpet:

Regards

Edited by virus, 24 April 2005 - 01:37 PM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 02:47 PM

I am not quite sure what you mean by your system restore "keeps turning off." Perhaps if you told us how you found out it was doing it, and whether you have restore points, that would help us.
When do you get this message that a new device driver has not installed properly and does it mention the device?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 camillabanks

camillabanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:14 PM

Thanks for getting back, sorry I wasn't here, had to paint.
OK, on starting it's been turning off after blue screen appears before login then restarting. When it comes back on it says system has recovered from serious error. It has box to click for more info and to send report to Microsoft. More info says new device driver not installed properly, but haven't installed anything. Sometimes the scroll has been acting really funny, like it's vibrating while I'm scrolling bookmarks or anything. Lasts awhile, amount of time isn't consistent, few minutes to 15-20 (then I just shut off).

One night I kept getting choose user (Mozilla) and when I did, it kept saying already in use, choose another, so I picked default, same response. I had been on for a couple hours, posting to a message board. It was like a total takeover in a way. All my bookmarks were gone even. I shut down after frantically trying to find months of bookmarked research. When I turned it back on few minutes later, everything fine. And it takes awhile to start up, seems to be many programs running on startup
I decided to try a system restore to see if would act better.

(bought a lemon PC from Gateway 3 years ago and spent 2 years not even using it, it was so bad, told software problem (not!) finally after fighting with them and following directions for every imaginable system check and hour after hour on the phone with techs, head techs,wiping HD,can't remember all, for 2 years they replaced motherboard, after hard drive. Finally sent me new in Oct.. Somehow got into Inouye's voice-mail and left message)

When I got to choose restore point, nothing there. Message telling me it was shut down, did I want to restart? I had never shut it down and had used it a couple times in Dec. It happened in Dec. too, so I turned it back on then. I know I did and that's why I came to you folks.

Did I give too much info, not enough? I'm not a genius with computers, nor do I play one on TV! So please bear with me.

Thanks for the welcome!
I'll try not to be an annoyance! I'm much better on human matters though.
Hope you had a great Sunday! :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

#5 virusX

virusX

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:42 PM

Hello Camilla. That's what we are here for to help others WHO need help. So before i start asking more things.... i want to know if you already posted a HJT LOG into the forum If you havn't then do it please follow the step's.

Please download the lastest Hijack version hereHijack Download

Double-click on the file you just downloaded and click on the Unzip button to
install the program. It will be installed to the C:\Program Files\HijackThis\ directory by default.

Start HijackThis and click the Do a system scan and save a log button to perform a scan and create a log file. When the scan is complete, Notepad will open up with the log file in it. While in Notepad, press Ctrl-A to select all text and then Ctrl-C to copy the text to the clipboard.

Then post the log in the "HijackThis Logs and Analysis" Forum !

They will be able to help you !

Bye for now

:thumbsup:

Claudio

PS and yes i had a great sunday thanks for asking :flowers: hehehe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users