Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something Very Wrong Here

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris_com28

Chris_com28

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:48 PM

I have very strange problems. For a start some programs don't seem to load and if they do they take ages to load. I can't right click anymore, plus I can't open web pages already loaded on my PC. I've even tried to run Ad Aware to sort my PC out and it made an error sound and closed. I think I'm really in trouble here. It's so annoying as I was held up in a dictatorship where I lost all experience in keeping my PC healthy and now when I leave the s*** hits the fan. It's more evidence of them covering us up in cotton wool.

Anyway, if anyone could help me it would be appreciated. I hate having an infected computer like this. Another thing is that I made a Paint Shop image and saved it as GIF and my tutor was saying it was actually a JPG even though Windows says it a GIF. Maybe that would help some what. I have to do work on this PC, I don't want to have to reformat the hard drive or anything like that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris_com28

Chris_com28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:58 PM

Please reply as soon as you can. My computer is getting worse by the second. I can't even open programs now.

#3 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:22 PM

I may be wasting your time , but have you ever used disk clean,up or used the defragment option your machine?
Try it . My advice may not help but it's worth a try, I would never advise you to do anything that would compromise your machine.
regards,The weatherman

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,114 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

Also is this an Xp machine? Have you scanned with your Antivirus from safe mode?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Chris_com28

Chris_com28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:08 PM

I've done disc clean up and check disc along with a defrag recently, though I'll do it again to make sure. I haven't done a virus scan. I've had Norton for a while, but now my subscription has run out and my father doesn't really want to renew it so I'm using Avast now that doesn't actually appear to be free. I'll run it with both Norton and Avast in safe mode.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,114 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:22 PM

OK having 2 AV's active at the same time will cause a number of propblems. If your Norton's way out of date then it is probably fairly ineffective to the newer malwares and may as well be removed.
Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

This is the link for the Free Avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
If you have a different one . Uninstall that thru the Control Panel,Add/Remove Programs.
Then install Update and scan with this one.

Now please run MBAM...

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Chris_com28

Chris_com28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:31 PM

I'll remove Norton after my PC has finished scanning. I have OCD and don't like to uninstall program,s especially Norton. I even don't like uninstalling trojans, lol. So what problems will running two AVs cause? Anything similar to my problems?

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,114 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:48 PM

When two antivirus programs start prowling around, all sorts of problems happen, ranging from program crashes to system lockups. Because these programs typically remain on all the time, they generally load as soon as Windows boots, which means if you install more than one antivirus application on your PC, both programs load automatically and lock up the system before there's a chance to troubleshoot.

Smart Computing .. Clash Of The Antivirus Apps

They also may start scanning each others virus vault and could potentially stay there forever.

Edited by boopme, 06 September 2008 - 09:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users