Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spore

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:32 PM

Is pretty freakin sweet. So far i've only been through the cell, creature and tribal stages but its pretty freakin awesome. Definitely reccomend picking it up.

*edit* just tried it on WINE. It works, at least in the cell stage. something odd with the upper left quadrant of the screen tho. Its playable, just strange...Like it has its own layer or something

Edited by smurfgod, 06 September 2008 - 07:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:10 AM

I have read about it, and have seen some of the screenshots.
Perhaps after a few more days of playing, you could provide our Members an assessment.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:06 AM

I'm going to get the game today or tomorrow! I've been getting so sick of games lately and this looks amazing. I think there's so much hype about it just because of the fact it's very different than most current games being released. I tried the creature editor and thought it was really cool!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:13 AM

Ok, without tweaking it doesn't work very well with WINE. The quadrant issue during the cell stage is a minor annoyance. But the creature stage and *assuming* after the terrain draws itself transparently. And its all distorted. I'm sure its fixable, but i'm a total newb at WINE so i'll have to wait for someone else to figure it out. Plus the actual WINE page says that it will be working toward fixing that game specifically, so i have all confidence that it will be working soon.

A more full review...
The Cell stage plays basically like a popcap game, You swim around getting food, how you build your creature determines what it will eat. Mine are omnivoures because its just plain easier to find meat or veggies, than one or the other.
The Creature stage is the most fun i think. You run around to different tribes either impressing them to ally with you, or utterly destroying them. The singing and dancing part is a little harder than just pulling their wings off and watching them flop around.
The Tribal stage plays a lot like the early stages of Age of Empires. You make your troops, build different buildings to upgrade your abilities. and once again either through diplomacy or an iron fist conquer the other tribes on the planet.
Then comes the Civilization stage. Sort of like a dumbed down Clone Wars. You build your towns and vehicles, gather money and resources to take over other cities, play it like Lincoln, or Alexander the Great, once again your choice
Lastly is the Space stage. I'm just beginning this one but it basically opens up the entire universe. There are at least 15 galaxies you can visit/colonize/conquer at the beginning of it, each galaxy with a few planets in them, how far it goes beyond that I don't know. But it looks huge.

The most fun in the game tho is in character customization...I just figured out how to make it look like they have heads lol my first species looked like what would happen if an elephant mated with a giant scorpion and then grew 6 arms...If you spend a lot of time making a character thinking "I wish they would let you do this" this is the game for you. The possibilities are literally limitless. If you can think it, you can make it.

The computer doesn't even cry too loud on it. I've got a modest system, 3.33 Single core Celeron, 2G DDR2@667, 8600GT 512 DDR3 and it plays med-high with no stuttering at all. It isn't chock full of eye candy at the COD4/Crysis level, but the way the engine handles all these random creations so well is amazing. They did an excellent job with it.

One thing to note tho, don't play on easy unless you just want to see the end, or you're 5 or 105. When they say easy, they mean easy.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:53 PM

I saw ArsTechnica's review of Spore, it doesn't look very deep. I was thinking it was going to be more "Sims-like". I do have issue with it's DRM though, it's draconian.

3939.png

#6 Krispy Kreme

Krispy Kreme

• Banned
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:02 AM

Looks like a pretty good game, I might buy it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users