Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsers Suddenly Not Remembering Passwords

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Centerman

Centerman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:03 PM

My computer is running Vista 32 SP1. I use Firefox 3 and Internet Explorer 7 all updated. My privacy and security settings are both set to not clear cookies, private data or passwords, but I'm prompted to enter my passwords on all sites that I frequent or have accounts with whenever I open either browser. This only started within the last week or so. I've skimmed through my my startups, msconfig, and services to see if something new is there that may be affecting my browsers. I have Webroot Spysweeper/Antivirus, nCleaner, and Spyware Blaster installed, but they've all been there for months. Any insight or clues would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:32 PM

My guess is it is either spy sweeper or ncleaner that is deleting the cookies. If you have ncleaner in startup, I would suggest removing it from startup, reboot and see if that is the culprit. If not, do the same for Spy Sweeper.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Centerman

Centerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:11 AM

Thank you for the reply. I disabled nCleaner and Spysweeper to test out the issue, but my cookies seem to still not save info when I close my browsers. Roboform helps, I never realized how much of an inconvenience logging into a site every single time can be. any ideas?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:50 PM

In Firefox, when you click on tools, options, privacy tab, show cookies, do you see the cookies for Bleeping Computer listed? There should be four or more listed under the BC heading after double clicking on the Bleeping computer cookie listing. Do that check after rebooting, opening Firefox and before trying to go to BC site.

I looked over nCleaner's site and it appears to have many tools included in the program and some run in the background. Are you sure you have shut down all of the functions?

Copied From their home page: "nCleaner also offers memory management, advanced schedule options, real time system resources monitoring, system tweak manger, startup manager, loging options, automatic updater, plugin options, custom clean, advanced statistics and many other features."

One other question---have you used nCleaner's registry cleaner?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:10 PM

Thank you for the reply. I disabled nCleaner and Spysweeper to test out the issue, but my cookies seem to still not save info when I close my browsers. Roboform helps, I never realized how much of an inconvenience logging into a site every single time can be. any ideas?

For Firefox you can try the Secure Login addon. If you enable the Key on the toolbar it's very
much like using Opera Wand for passwords. It handles multiple accounts for the same site
very well. You get a list of ids for the site that have saved passwords and you just click.

I have Firefox 2.x and have it set to delete cookies and cache every time I close it.
That way it neutralizes a lot of spyware that use tracking cookies without having to
run resident anti-spyware anti-virus. If I'm going to do any risky surfing I run my
browser inside Sandboxie.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#6 Centerman

Centerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

:huh: After some very desperate searching I found the answer to my problem. By doing some troubleshooting I discovered that I have a corrupted user profile. Making a new user profile and transferring my bookmarks and setting over allows cookies to save as they should. This one had me seriously thinking about a HD format. Thank you both for assisting me with this crazy issue. http://support.mozilla.com/eu/kb/Basic+Troubleshooting

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:21 AM

Thanks for posting back. Glad you got your problem resolved.

When I was looking for info on nCleaner, I recall it was described as an agressive cleaning tool. Some reported it had removed necessary files. Others said to be sure to go thru the settings for all of its' various tools. You may want to consider not using it. One of the programs that I and many others here use and recommend is Ccleaner. It has a secure delete function as does nCleaner.

http://www.ccleaner.com/
Fully tried and tested with Windows 98/NT4/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista.
It's currently partially compatible with 64bit XP and Vista, there are a few non-critical issues which are still being worked on.
There are no Mac or Linux versions.

If you decide to try out Ccleaner, you will be offered the Yahoo Toolbar during install. UNcheck if NOT wanted.

#8 Centerman

Centerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:52 AM

Thank you again. I've just uninstalled nCleaner and gone back to cCleaner. It always did a fine job. Should have stayed with it.

#9 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:03 PM

Thank you again. I've just uninstalled nCleaner and gone back to cCleaner. It always did a fine job. Should have stayed with it.

Yup. CCleaner works for me. As I said I always dump browser cache and cookies
on close but I leave address and form histories. When I want to clear that crud
out I use CCleaner.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users