Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slave Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mesay

Mesay

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:51 PM

Hello good people...

I have WinXP Pro w/2 drives, master and slave.
The slave is pinned as slave but WinXP won't or can't ID it so I can access it's goodies...files/pics from my previous computer which was Win98 second edition...I think.

It has been suggested to me that I can set both drives as masters...true?
If true, will this allow access to both with no hardware/software issues?

WinXP will not allow me to assign a letter to it.
WinXP will only allow me to reformat the slave, which is NOT what I want to do.

Thoughts anyone...?

Mesay thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:58 PM

Most IDE drives can be set as Master, Slave, or Cable Select - some manufacturers/models can be set with additional options.
Most computers have 2 IDE channels which can take 2 drives each - either one as Master and one as Slave, or both as Cable Select.

If the disk is set as Master, it should be at the end of the cable, the Slave should be at the middle of the cable - with Cable Select it doesn't matter (because it's position on the cable selects it).

So, if you want 2 drives set as Master, then you'll have to use both of the IDE channels - and put one Master drive on the end of one cable, and the other Master drive on the end of the other cable.

Before going through this tho', I'd strongly suggest that you obtain a hard drive diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive. Then run the test on it to see if the disk itself is dead/dying.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:21 PM

Hi

On boot-up does the BIOS recognise the drive?
If it doesn't, check your CMOS settings to make sure the spare IDE channels haven't been disabled.

Edited by SLIX, 06 September 2008 - 05:22 PM.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users