Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Ntldr Missing And Hal.dll Missing Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wildebeast

Wildebeast

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:56 PM

First I would like to say greetings everyone. You were very helpful with previous computer problems. Hopefully, you can help me with this one as well.
My wife's computer started with one problem, but I may have created another problem attempting to fix the first.
The first problem:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
Windows root>system32/hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file
I have the xp disc, but I could not boot in safe mode.
I entered the repair mode, and tried something like the following:
expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ I received a message saying it had been expanded.
I think I then typed something like c:\windows\system32\hal.dll
when asked to overwrite I said yes.

The second problem:
NTLDR is missing
Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I hit f12 and choose boot from xp cd, the computer says it is checking setup, but nothing happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 syler

syler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:09 PM

You could have a look here for your NTLDR problem.

Syler

unite.jpg

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:14 PM

The "NTLDR is missing" error comes from the Boot Sector of your hard drive trying to load it and not being able to find it.
The missing HAL.DLL usually comes from NTLDR trying to execute and for some reason it can't locate the HAL.DLL file

The usual "fix" for these type of errors is to run an hard drive diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive.
If that tests OK, then enter the Recovery Console (instructions here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/ ) and enter these 3 commands individually (press Enter after each one, and select Y (for Yes) to accept any prompts it makes)

CHKDSK /R

FIXMBR

FIXBOOT

If you still get the error after this, then the next step is to replace the file (in this case HAL.DLL) - but you've already done it so it shouldn't be necessary.

This'll fix most situations with boot errors - UNLESS there's a problem elsewhere. Let us know how it works out for you, and we can move on with more tests if necessary.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Wildebeast

Wildebeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:04 PM

I ran the Dell Diagnostic and every checks out as ok.

When I try to enter the recovery mode, I choose F12 to boot from the cd.
"Press any key to boot from disk" appears, I do this and get
"setup is checking for hardware configurations"
the screen goes black and nothing happens.

Any ideas as to what I should try next?

The "NTLDR is missing" error comes from the Boot Sector of your hard drive trying to load it and not being able to find it.
The missing HAL.DLL usually comes from NTLDR trying to execute and for some reason it can't locate the HAL.DLL file

The usual "fix" for these type of errors is to run an hard drive diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive.
If that tests OK, then enter the Recovery Console (instructions here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/ ) and enter these 3 commands individually (press Enter after each one, and select Y (for Yes) to accept any prompts it makes)

CHKDSK /R

FIXMBR

FIXBOOT

If you still get the error after this, then the next step is to replace the file (in this case HAL.DLL) - but you've already done it so it shouldn't be necessary.

This'll fix most situations with boot errors - UNLESS there's a problem elsewhere. Let us know how it works out for you, and we can move on with more tests if necessary.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:38 AM

I believe that you've got an issue elsewhere that the Dell diagnostics weren't able to find.
Check your XP installation CD to make sure it's free of dirt and scratches.
Try another bootable CD to see if it can boot from that (or try your booting to your XP CD on another computer - BUT DON'T DO ANYTHING with it there).

Try a bootable diagnostic CD from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive (here's a list of some of the more common manufacturer's: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/
Try this bootable memory tester (free): http://www.memtest86.com/ Let the test run for a minimum of 3 passes (overnight is better). If it starts giving errors, stop the test and post back with the exact model number of your Dell.

Those 2 tests will help us to see if it's the CD or the CD drive that's causing problems, and it'll also help to rule out some of the major problems that could occur in this scenario.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Wildebeast

Wildebeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:12 AM

I tried your suggestions:
-I checked the xp cd - its clean.
-I tried several other cd's and could not get them to boot except for the Dell Drivers, Utilities, and Applications CD. This one worked.
-The XP CD works on my other laptop.
-I downloaded Belarc Advisor to identify my hard drive manuf., but I could not get it to boot (NTLDR Missing message). So I was unable to identify hard drive to download proper diagnostic.
-I downloaded memtest86 v3.4 zip, but this would not boot either.

Make and model: Dell Inspiron 600M with a 30GB hard drive.

Is it possible that when I used the "expand i386" command while trying to solve the initial hal.dll problem that I created the ntldr missing problem? The ntldr came after I tried to fix the hal.dll problem.

What do you recommend next?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:08 PM

Open the case and look at the hard drive to see who the manufacturer is.

You can also use this free hard drive diagnostic that works on most hard drives: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
You'll most likely want the CD Image.

For both this and the memtest program, you'll need an ISO burner to burn the ISO file to the disk. If you don't use an ISO burner the disk won't be bootable. I recommend this free one a lot: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/v2.htm

Once installed, you right click on the ISO file and select "Copy image to CD"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users