Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Get Dsl Connection From New Modem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 korniceman3000

korniceman3000

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:30 PM

Hi everyone,

Hope you don't mind helping me with this problem. I am a DSL subscriber with Earthlink and my original modem suddenly stopped working one day (it was a Speedstream 5260 Ethernet ADSL modem) I received a replacement from the ISP a few days later ( a ZyXEL P-600R-D1 modem) but for some reason, my desktop computer can't seem to connect to the modem. I've tried everything possible that the Earthlink technician suggested (I disabled the firewall, disabled all the anti-virus programs, setup a static IP Address, reset my computer dozens of times, deleted the temp files in IE, etc.) but still can't connect to the internet. After pinging the ethernet adapter's IP, I was able to receive all 4 packets and 0% loss. However, when I ping the ZyXEL modem, I get request timed out on all 4 packets. I used to connect to the internet through the WAN miniport but now the technician said I had to connect through the LAN. I have no router and the ethernet is connected directly to the dsl modem. I use Windows XP with Service Pack 2.

I then tried the modem on my laptop and it was able to immediately connect with the internet after setting up the broadband connection proving that there is nothing wrong with the modem. The technician said it was something with the firewall configuration that was preventing the ethernet adapter from connecting to the modem but I already disabled the firewall.

I had made no previous changes to any settings on my desktop computer and do not understand why I cannot connect to the internet with the new modem. I've tried all the tests on the microsoft XP support for testing the ethernet and showed there was nothing wrong with my ethernet adapter.

Please help! I'd really appreciate any suggestions or solutions to help me remedy this frustrating problem.

Thank you very much,

Ice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:16 PM

Check this out
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 korniceman3000

korniceman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:21 PM

Thank you very much for the help Garmanma!!! I will try the following steps and let you know as soon as I can.

Thanks again. It's really appreciated.

#4 korniceman3000

korniceman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:58 PM

Hi,

After running the WinsockXP Fix, I was still unable to connect to the internet from my desktop. When I now ping the ethernet adapter it yields "destination unreachable". I also get the same result when I ping the new modem. When I try to establish a new internet connection it says "Connecting through WAN Miniport(PPPOE)" the quickly gets Error 678.

I have no idea what's wrong or how to correct this problem. Pleease advise as to what I should do to resolve this.

Thank you for your time.

Ice

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:51 PM

Did you use the Network Wizard to set up your connection?

Are you using a router?

Have you checked the protocols enabled after setting up the connection? Can you list those?

Louis

#6 korniceman3000

korniceman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:10 PM

Hi hamluis,

Thank you for the response. I don't have a router. The dsl modem is directly connected with my desktop's ethernet adapter. I used the Network Wizard to create the new connection. I went to Internet Protocol properties but I remember the earthlink dsl technician told me to leave the function at Obtain IP Address automatically. However, I did try and input the "Use the following IP address" with 192.168.1.33 and hit enter but nothing happenend.

Can you please advise on my next step?

Thanks for your help.
Ice

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:50 PM

I would go to the connection reflected...right-click on it, select Properties.

I would then list all the items that appear in the resulting inner Window which includes TCP/IP.

Louis

#8 korniceman3000

korniceman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:06 PM

Hi Louis,

Thank you for your reply. I went to the LAN connection, selected properties, and found the general tab. In the connection listings, only Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and QoS Packet Scheduler were checkmarked and client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks remained unchecked.

In the properties for Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), "Use the following IP address" was selected with IP address (192.168.1.33), Subnet Mask (255.255.255.0) and Default Gateway (192.168.1.1)

I pinged the IP address and all 4 packets were received yet when I pinged the default gateway, I still got request timed out (100% loss).

Please advise on what I can do to fix this problem.

Thanks for the help so far.
Ice

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:14 PM

No problem.

I would put a check mark in both (Client and Share)...and I would elect the automatic options for the TCP/IP Property items. The system can handle the needed decisions.

Then check out your connection capability.

It probably isn't necessary to reboot, but I would (before checking out the capability).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users