Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search Engines Hijacked And Driving Me Mad - Help!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 gavtheoldskater

gavtheoldskater

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:51 PM

hi, having faithfully followed all the instructions on the site for a good few days now i still have a search engine issue despite the various virus scans (adaware, spybot, avg, etc.) all coming up clean.

whenever i try to use a search engine (google and yahoo) with my copy of IE i get the results, but when i click a new window opens with a site that is not the result i was after.

when this started i loaded the latest version of IE (i was running version 6) but this made no difference. i do however have an old yahoo bt/browser from 2006 that is unaffected so i'm guessing the problem is just with internet explorer.

below is the hijackthis log, and if anyone can offer any advice it would be really greatly appreciated because at the moment i'm thinking that i may have to take my pc to a repair place and i really hate to be defeated like that.

thanks

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 19:49:47, on 06/09/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18241)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MI3AA1~1\rapimgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrowser.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ycommon.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
C:\Program Files\highjackthis\HiJackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [ITWSS6_Suite] "C:\Program Files\IT Works Security Suite 6\itwss.exe" /booting (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [ITWSS6_SAFE] "C:\Program Files\IT Works Security Suite 6\safe.exe" /booting (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [ITWSS6_SPM] "C:\Program Files\IT Works Security Suite 6\spm.exe" /booting (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [ITWSS6_Suite] "C:\Program Files\IT Works Security Suite 6\itwss.exe" /booting (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI3AA1~1\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {2D8ED06D-3C30-438B-96AE-4D110FDC1FB8} (ActiveScan 2.0 Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/cabs/as2stubie.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{CB41B04A-2834-4DEF-8500-1959F7823333}: NameServer = 62.24.218.221 62.24.218.220
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe

--
End of file - 4293 bytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavtheoldskater

gavtheoldskater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:38 PM

aha, should've looked deeper before i posted.

found a thread with the same issues, loaded/ran combofix and 'fingers crossed' all is good again.

#3 steamwiz

steamwiz

• Members
  • 1,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:47 PM

Hi

Your hijackthis log is clean, but you should really only run Combofix under supervision, it's a powerful program...

If Combofix removed an infection then there may be more to do ... it would be in your best interest to post the Combofix log, please copy & paste it to this thread & I will look at it for you :thumbsup:

steam
MICROSOFT MVP - Windows Security 2004/9
member of ASAP since 2004
member of U.N.I.T.E

If I have helped you, please consider a small donation to help me continue my online fight in the war against malware Posted Image

#4 steamwiz

steamwiz

• Members
  • 1,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:26 PM

Due to lack of feedback This thread is now treated as resolved and duly closed.

If the original poster would like it re-opened, please send me a PM with a link to this thread.

cheers

steam
MICROSOFT MVP - Windows Security 2004/9
member of ASAP since 2004
member of U.N.I.T.E

If I have helped you, please consider a small donation to help me continue my online fight in the war against malware Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users