Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Is Making Strange Noises

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:02 PM

Sometimes my printer will act as if it is about to print something even when the power is off. When I boot my computer I always exit the communication to the printer by using the option in the icon in the system tray.

This is hard to describe but it sounds like something is resetting in the printer. It may make this noise 2 or 3 times over a 2 minute period and than not do it again for several days. Very strange.

Any ideas ?

Thank You for your time.

Dennis :thumbsup:

XP-Home, IE-7, SP-3

EDIT: Just some additional information. When I have my speakers on I get a tone as if my computer blocked a pop up, immediately afterward the printer does it's thing. Something, somehow must be communicating with the printer ????

Edited by Dennis H, 06 September 2008 - 05:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:36 PM

even when the power is off.

Power off on the printer or the computer?
What is the make and model of the printer?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:54 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Power off to the printer.

The printer is a Lexmark Model X5470.

Edited by Dennis H, 07 September 2008 - 04:34 AM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:48 AM

I've never had a Lexmark. This is a WAG, I didn't research anything yet. You know how you turn your TV off but it's still on unless you unplug it? I'm wondering if that might not be the case here.

I always exit the communication to the printer by using the option in the icon in the system tray.

I also believe it's still trying to communicate
Maybe try unplugging it and see if it still happens
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:18 AM

OK, I will unplug it.

It just happen again. (not unplugged yet) It is as if someone pressed the copy button and it is getting ready to feed the paper in and start copying. Very odd. The sound coming out of the speakers just before it happens goes something like this. (don't laugh) :huh: Boink, Boink,(pause a second) and then three more boinks.

Perhaps it is possessed and a exorcism is in order. :thumbsup:

DThanks,

Dennis

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:08 AM

Have you checked the properties and made sure there isn't an unfinished print job stuck in the spooler?
Mark
Posted Image

#7 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:17 AM

I looked inside the machine and it seems to be fine. (Is that what you mean by properties ?) The printer did it's own thing again about 5 minutes ago. I took closer look to see what was going on. The printer head (or whatever it is called) slid from left to right then back again as if it were printing something. So that is the noise I am hearing.

I went to the Lexmark download center to see if there was a new download (driver, or whatever) that was trying to get through. It said that there was a driver that can be downloaded but it did not say it was an update. I am not sure how to check what driver I have compared to the one that is available on their site.

I hope I am making some sense. I know nothing of these things. Thanks for sticking with me on this. It is not interfering with my printing or my computer performance, I'ts just weird. :thumbsup:

Dennis :huh:

Edited by Dennis H, 07 September 2008 - 11:56 AM.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:57 PM

Try doing what this page recommends
http://www.computer-2tr.com/tips/05/20050815.html
Mark
Posted Image

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:46 PM

I've had a number of Lexmark printers in the past...never noticed any activity with the printer power button off.

As for the printer head moving back and forth when you open it...that's a normal thing. It allows easier access to the ink cartridges (the logical reason for opening the printer is to change ink or check such).

http://downloads.lexmark.com/perl/downloads/downloads.cgi Click on the top Download Now button and install by double-clicking the .exe.

You don't (by chance) have the fax function enabled on this all-in-one, do you?

Bottom line: It could just be defective.

Louis

#10 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:17 PM

Howdy hamulis, garmanma,

The printer head moves back and forth while the cover is closed or open. Power on or power off. ?? Weird.

The reason I popped the cover up was so I could get a better look at what parts were moving when it self activated.
I checked the fax function and it is not enabled.

garmanma,

I checked and nothing is showing that is queued to print.

hamulis,

I followed your link but I do not see the download that you mention. ?? Apparently I am missing something there.

Maybe I should uninstall and then re-install the printer ??

Thanks for the help !

EDIT: OK hamulis, I think this is what you are speaking of. ?? (screen shot)
Posted Image

So this will update/replace the driver I have now without my having to take any other steps such deleting the current driver ?

Thanks,
Dennis

Edited by Dennis H, 07 September 2008 - 02:25 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:48 PM

That second screen you show...is the one that I tried to link to. I just tried the link I posted and it has changed.

I would usually uninstall the printer...then install the new downloaded software.

To uninstall the printer, use the Control Panel/Printers & Faxes icon.

Louis

#12 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:20 AM

Thanks hamluis.

Last question.

When I click on the Printer/Fax icon, I get the following screen.

Posted Image

I presume that I I click on the Lexmark fax icon and click delete and then do the same for the Lexmark Printer.

I would then download the update.

My question is could this not be accomplished by going to the add/remove feature ?

Just asking this is to gain some knowledge.

Thanks again for your time.

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:27 AM

Remove it in Add/Remove Programs and if it still shows in Printers and Faxes, delete it also
Mark
Posted Image

#14 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:31 AM

OK, will do. Thanks garmanma.

Edit. uninstall and new install went smoothly. Hopefully the ghost in my printer has skedaddled.

Thanks again folks for the help.

Dennis :huh:

Edited by Dennis H, 08 September 2008 - 10:33 AM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:32 AM

My take has always been:

Add/Remove Programs...is oriented towards software...in this case, Lexmark software.

Removing the Lexmark software may remove the driver, may not.

Deleting the printer is the accepted way of removing printers, unlike other hardware items.

Nothing is cast in stone :thumbsup:, there are usually various ways to come to the same end in computing. Stay flexible :huh:.

I would have deleted that other printer setup also, no need for it and it may interfere with something/printing if any application thinks it is the default option.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users