Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 novo

novo

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:07 PM

Hi guys…
I have Windows XP SP2 (updated with XP3) installed in my PC. Now when I start the PC, system is getting very slow at start up. I have unchecked all the unnecessary start up entries, but the problem remains same. Then I verify the processes tab in task manager it shows that ‘explorer.exe’ takes the maximum of CPU usage. I have installed a pool game and the problem arises after that.
I hope I can brief the problem. Please reply if any particular queries.
Thank you and forgive me for my English.
:thumbsup:

Edited by novo, 06 September 2008 - 12:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:53 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

No need to apologize for English language...I've lived here 62 years and spoken/written it for most of my days...and I still don't live up to my own standards :flowers:.

You say that it's slow at startup...how do you determine that? I mean...how slow is "slow"?

In order to see what really runs at startup, I suggest that you use this tool, AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx Please read/follow all instructions before you start fooling around with settings. The Logon tab will contain the main entries you should be concerned with.

IMO, Explorer should reflect the max CPU usage at times. Just when are you looking at Task Manager?

You might want to uninstall that game...if your problems began with the installation of same.

Louis

#3 novo

novo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:25 PM

Thanks Louis,
Thanks for your reply and encouragement for my English.
I always use ‘Autoruns’ to edit my start up entries. There are very minimum programs are running at startup on my PC. But after booting it takes 4-5 minutes to turn off the red light which is very unusual. At that time performance is too low and response to any command getting very slow.
I have uninstalled the game but problem remains same.
I’m attaching the ‘Hijack This’ Log, hoping that could help to get any clue to the problem.
Thank you,
Novojit

**Deleted HJT logfile and sent copy to member**

Edited by usasma, 08 September 2008 - 04:20 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:35 PM

Id make sure that all your drivers are updated, and that your software has all the appropriate patches and updates.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:14 PM

This is strictly my opinion (which is why I'm not moving this to the HJT area) that it doesn't appear that this is a malware issue to my untrained eyes.

And the following is nothing but personal opinion :thumbsup::

But I do see a number of items installed/running which I believe would slow any system down:

C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe

C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/V...r.exe-6142.html

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/wscntfy.exe.html

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/richvideo.exe.html

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\4.1.509.5470\swg.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar.dll

I just see no value in installing additional toolbars, but that's a user preference thing :flowers:.

O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Clean Traces - C:\Program Files\DAP\Privacy Package\dapcleanerie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\Program Files\DAP\dapextie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\Program Files\DAP\dapextie2.htm

Are you on dialup? If so, I guess you use this in conjunction with the torrent program.

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000

I'm tempted to say..."no wonder it takes 5 min to boot" but I won't :trumpet:.

I consider all of these things excess baggage when it comes to startup (and on my system)...other than Office and Office toolbar, etc. does not have to initiate with boot.

I bet you will see a pronounced change in boot time if some/all of these are removed.

Others may/should see things differently than I do :inlove:. I can live with that.

Edit: Forgot a couple:

O23 - Service: NBService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe

O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 September 2008 - 01:15 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:19 PM

To keep from moving this to the HJT logs area, I've deleted the HJT logfile. Should it be needed, I'll save a copy in a PM to the member.
We don't allow posting of HiJackThis logs here for several reasons:
1) The appropriate place to receive trained help with HJT is the HJT forums. Those folks are so busy that they don't spend much time in the Windows forums.
2) HJT is used to identify problem areas that are typically attacked by malware - so it gives a skewed picture of a system and may omit things are are actually necessary to diagnose a system that's not infected.
3) The use of HJT by people who aren't trained in it's use can render a system inoperable.
4) There are other, more appropriate tools for diagnosing Windows problems.

And those are just the one's that I could think of off the top of my head. You'll probably get a better idea of the reasons behind this if you ask over in the malware forums.

Edited by usasma, 08 September 2008 - 04:27 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:02 PM

Thanks, John :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 novo

novo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:47 AM

Thanks guys,
For your valuable time, you have spent to solve my problem. And USASMA, thanks for your suggestion.
I shall keep it mind in future to post HJT log in proper place. Take my apologies for what I did unintentionally.
By the way, I have got the culprit – my ‘Harddisk’. It was getting weak and didn’t read/write properly.
I have replaced it and everything is alright now.
Thanks Again,
Novojit
:flowers:

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:18 AM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users