Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help Me Remove A Redirect Virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jay Dubya

Jay Dubya

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:22 AM

I sure would appreciate help in removing a redirect virus that I have.
Let me first say that this might possibly be a hangover from AntivirusXP 2008. About 3 weeks ago I was web surfing when all of a sudden I received a pop up stating that my computer is infected with something like 2706 different viruses and I should immediatley run a scan with my virus protection. I clicked on the pop up to CLOSE IT and as soon as I did I realized that I had probably just unlesashed the virus. And of course thats exactly what I did. It turned out to be AntivirusXP2008. My screen saver disappeared and was replaced by a warning that my computer was infected and that I needed to buy their software in order to remove the infection. I did NOT buy their software. Mcafee was unable to identify the original problem, Adaware 2008 was also unable. After searching several websites I found several different instructions regarding how to remove AntivirusXP2008 and I tried many of them and while I could get partially through the directions it seemed like eventually I would reach an impass of some sort. I would be instructed to locate a file and no such file existed, etc. So while it seemed like I was on a path to remove the virus, none of the suggested solutions seemed to remove the virus COMPLETELY. A co-worker suggested Windows One Care Live. So I installed it. One issue I had with Windows OneCare Live is that it directed me to uninstall Mcaffe and Adaware - which I did. Now I cannot get them back because of this redirect. I also installed PC Tools Spyware Doctor, PC Tools Registry Mechanic and Malwarebytes RogueRemover. I cannot be certain, however, it "appears" that through the combined effects of everything I tried that AntivirusXP2008 may finally be gone (the "screen saver" warning is gone and the computer doesnt seem as slow) but now I have this stupid redirect problem. So Im not sure if this redirect is a hangover effect of AntivirusXP2008 or something completely different.

In preparation of posting this request I have cleaned out my temporary files, temporary interent files and recycle bin as directed. I also ran Spyware Doctor, Registry Mechanic and Malwarebytes RogueRemover before starting typing this request and none of them identify any problems.

As for the redirect it doesnt happen with every URL I type in. It seems to be very indiscriminate, no rhyme or reason. Here is what I get when I try to visit ebay.com:

You have requested following URL:
http://ebay.com/
Your request has been blocked a server for the following reason:
your computer is placed in base as harming

Distribution Malware yes
Distribution Spyware yes
FTP Attacks yes
HTTP Attacks yes
Sending Spam yes
Fishing possible
Credit Card Fraud possible

Probably your computer is infected malware, and you has no attitude to the above-stated actions.
In this case, please, lead full anti-virus scanning your computer.

If you have no antivirus or your antivirus does not eliminate a problem
you can use these free-of-charge links:

Download free antivirus scanner

Free online antivirus scanner

Please note that on the actual notification I receive these last two lines are actually links to theantivirusscan.com/download.php and theantivirusscan.com/omline.php respectively.

So in summary, Im not sure if my problem is a part of, or is in some way, related to AntivirusXP2008 or if it is a completely separate issue.
What I would ultimately like to be able to do is 1.) of course remove this virus and 2.) be able to reinstall my Mcafee and Adaware 2008.
I certainly would appreciate any help and look forward to hearing from y'all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,109 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:56 AM

Well lets see if Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) reveals anything

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Jay Dubya

Jay Dubya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:16 AM

I have fixed the problem. Typical...Ive been working on this for weeks, FINALLY break down and ask for some help and before you know it, I stumble upon the answer.

Thanks to those who responded!!!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,109 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:31 PM

Was it the MBAM scan? Would you post the scan result please.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users