Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VNC Connection Refused (error 10061)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nwyllie

nwyllie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:36 AM

I've installed RealVNC server on 3 of my computers, and client on 4. All 4 can connect to each of the server machines except for on combination: My Win98SE Notebook will not connect to one of my two NT 4.0 servers. It connects to the other one fine, and both my second NT 4.0 server and my XP macine connect fine to the first NT server. When connceting the Win98Se machine to NT server 1 I get the error "conncetion refused (error 10061)".

My network is behind a firewall, but all machines are on the same side so there should not be any firewall/router issues.

Does anyone have any ideas on this or any sugestions of what to try?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:19 AM

Hi nwyllie and welcome to BC

Check out this page at RealVNC for search results on your error code.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 nwyllie

nwyllie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:14 PM

I took a look at the location suggested and nothing there seems to address my problem. At least not in a way that will fix it.

I tried from another non-notebook Win98Se machine and it connects fine. I tried disconnecting the DSL Modem/Router just to rule out something to do with that, but I still can't connect.

What's so maddening about this is the Notebook to Server 1 connection is the one I'd probably use the most.

So...still looking for help.

Edited by nwyllie, 24 April 2005 - 08:14 PM.

#4 nwyllie

nwyllie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:42 PM

OK, more information.

I took the notebook down next to server 1 so I wouldn't have to keep running up and down stairs to play with this. Did a hard wire connect (the notebook normally runs wireless). The damn thing connected to server 1! So I rebooted with a wireless connection. Again, it connected. Thinking the problem was magically solved I brought the notebook back upstairs. Now it's back to not connecting! I would suspect something like signal strength except for the fact that server 1 and server 2 are off of the same hub which is connected to the wap and I can connect in to server 2 just fine.

Is this strange, or what? I've even tried changing LAN cables and used a different port on the hub.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:54 PM

The only thing that I can think of is that there is some type of electrical or magnetic interference in the vicinity of the laptop or between the laptop and server 1 since the physical location seems to make a difference.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 nwyllie

nwyllie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:06 PM

Well, tired different locations and the first place I tried it asked for the password for server1. I gave it and I got connected to notebook1, the very computer I was working from! SO.... for SOME reason the viewer thinks notebook1 is server1! Once I disabled VNC server on notebook1 I began getting the connection refused message again. I changed the name of server1 to servera and was able to connect just fine. I've since changed it back and the connection problems have resumed.

So, unless anyone has any explination and/or fix for this I may have to rename my servers!

Thanks for the help so far.

#7 nwyllie

nwyllie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:47 PM

Fixed!

I had the server name in the host field of the DNS Cofiguration rather than the computer name.

Thanks for the suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users